Home Booking Webcams with Ken Tamplin

Best Skype Recording Apps

Hey guys,
Can you put some recommendations here. There are thousands claiming to be free but there is always a hook. 

For Both Mac and PC.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Seems like every "free" application I accept comes with a lot of spybots and other parasites. 

I got tired of poor resolution from Pamela.  The low frame rate of Pamela, even at its highest settings, looks like old footage of the moon landings.  Hurky-jerky motion, and audio that's not the greatest.

Because I was recording the KTVA Webinars, and I wanted better quality than I was getting with Pamela at the beginning, I bought a program that is a screen capture program called BSR Screen Recorder.  There are other comparable programs out there.  One thing I don't like about it is that the format the videos comes out in doesn't work in my video editing program unless I convert the files to .wmv first.  That takes a little while.

My criteria was that the program have at least the capability to capture at 30 frames per second, which is standard for motion pictures.  Skype doesn't quite attain that, but the program used now for the Webinars is pretty close to that. 

Your Internet speed on both ends of the Skype has to be good quality high-speed so that what you are recording isn't jerky in the first place.  Ken's internet has just been upgraded, so his end is working quite well now. 

Has anybody else got recommendations for good skype recording apps? 

Bob

• jnaabjnaab Pro Posts: 28
    I use one called Call Recorder for Skype from a company called Ecamm at ecamm.com. It's only for Mac and it costs $30. It works well and comes with some extra tools.
  • kaulferskaulfers Pro Posts: 300
    edited November 2014
    @Steeter,  

I believe mac comes with a "free" capture already.  Of course it's missing one portion, the recording side.  Open quicktime and in the tool bar you can tell it to record the screen.

Use garage band to record the audio,  once both are reording, clap your and for a sync point.  You can edit them together in imove.  

At least for mac, for PC I don't remember as I use camtasia but that isn't close to free.  screengrab-o-matic perhaps?

Your best bet would be to use a video camera.  You'll have good quality for you and you can computer pipe the audio to the camera if you wanted.
  • fullmentalfullmental Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 4
    edited November 2016
    I just use Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) for everything. It's made for live streaming but it has a local record feature. Once you get used to the software is pretty easy to work with, and you can record pretty much anything that's on the pc screen, and then some. I've used it for Twitch and even recorded how-to installation/configuration training videos at work with it. I use the 'classic' version, but I believe the 'studio' version is good too.they are both free and open source.