Home Favorite Music, Vocal Movies, and Videos
Options

Unchained Melody - WOW

This performance by Bobby Hatfield is one the best live vocal performances I have ever seen. I just wanted to share and hear and comments (Bob?) about his technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYj2hex99gY

I don't see any tension or straining, and it doesn't look like he is inhaling or exhaling a lot of air.  From time to time, he appears to smile a bit. Is he employing mask there, or is that only for appearance? On the last note, it seems like a pure EE, rather than a modification,  but I am just not sure. His tongue looks pretty flat, which is something I struggle with on the EE vowel. It also looks pretty open and tall. I thought there might be more of a wide smile on that note.  I am a baritone, so it is hard for me to even relate to the tenor sound, but wow...

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357

Vowels get really hard to discern at these altitudes.

This really is a great live vocal rendition.  Most likely the backing tracks were pre-recorded, although in those days live orchestras sometimes accompanied guest vocalists.

The vocal performance certainly looks live and in-person.   He did make it look effortless, and it probably was for him.  I think his smiles were genuine, because he was enjoying being a guest star on national television.  This was a solo spot for Bobby Hatfield, even though the song was billed as "The Righeous Brothers". 

As far as the vowels go, on "are you.... still m-AHHHHHHHHHHn" there's the AH vowel!

On his final C5 MeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE to F5 MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE   it morphs to more of an "eh" on the last F5 to G5 notes.  You're right.  No tension.  His tongue is flat as a pancake and he's got a ton of space in there for his wide EE sound. There's even a good bit of vertical space, considering how wide the EEE is.  This is much more exciting at the end than the version that came out on the record.  This was Live, before a studio audience.

Here's the version we used to hear on the radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiiyq2xrSI0

Nice example, nice conversation piece.

Bob

• Options
    lrobertslroberts Volume 1 Posts: 20
    Thanks for that Bob! I have always preferred a gripping live performance to a recording. I often look for the best live version of my favorite songs, not only by the original artist, but by others. I often find I like certain covers better that the original.  I am still on volume one, so I am looking for inspiration.