Home Ken Tamplin's Corner

I need help with my technique!

Heyho!

Well... I'm frustrated again, I'm into the programme for quite 3 months now, only since 2 weeks with daylie practice due time problems.
I made some good changes! I extended chest from a strained g4 to A4 or even B4, c5... Well in Exercises
I'm singing for 2 years now, and changed fully to your programme and I still got alot of bad habits, another thing is, that my old teacher also trained my headvoice early on, I ended up here now, hitting A5, B5 in headvoice, but can't get past g4 in actual songs, I'm sick of getting tired in every single song which isn't secure in my range, I really want to be a better singer and I work hard for that, but it just won't work.

I got big problems with the vowels, because somehow I just can't use them properly and I always end up oversinging, I never got hoarse yet, but I'm tired of my old singing habits...
I also struggle with singing light in that "boy voice" and generally singing without getting much to loud early on...

Somehow I just don't feel good when I sing anymore, because it's such a fight and I don't like my voice anymore, well how I use my voice, it deserves so much more..

Is it worth it, to do a skype session with Ken, to start out correctly?
A personal introduction in every exercise, so all my doubts in technique will dissappear?

I'm really happy with the course so far, but I'm full of doubts and I know that I won't learn it all alone.
I need someone to tell me if it's right, so I can go on^^

Dariolicious

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited January 2015

@Dariolicious,

You seem to have a lot of complaints and frustrations.  Then you're OK, then again you complain of frustration, with very little time in-between to work out your part of the practice. 

If you're that confused, you may need to consult with Ken.  Perhaps you are not doing things correctly. 

A one-on-one lesson might be able to point out a lot of things that are happening.  Two weeks of practice is hardly enough time to change what you describe as a lot of bad habits and a chest voice that only goes to G#4.

You kind of need to settle in for the long-haul.  Two weeks of this and two weeks of that is just scratching the surface.

All the Best.

Bob

• DarioliciousDariolicious Pro Posts: 68
    So... I'm still working on everything^^ I think i got some exercises much better now, it came with time, but still I bought an hour lesson with ken yesterday^^
    Now I got a question about the webcam, I got this one http://www.logitech.com/en-ch/product/webcam-c930e-business
    and well, I hope it's good enough to have a lesson with ken :P It's a newer one, than recommended.

I'm really excited about the lesson, even though I'm scared that I'm doing everything wrong^^ But I'm working on my voice everyday and never getting hoarse^^ I also managed to get much weight off my voice and it feels good like that, well I will see :)

Dariolicious
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Sounds exciting!  I like the new webcam.  So have you got Skype loaded on your computer?
  • DarioliciousDariolicious Pro Posts: 68
    yes of course i got :) Still need the programme for recording the session though^^

And the webcam still needs to arrive^^ so everything is set up for an awesome start :D