Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

First take on "Run to the Hills" by Iron Maiden.

Hi Guys!

I should probably wait until volume 3 before singing metal, but wanting to sing 80s metal was impossible to resist :)
Here's the first take I did on Run to the hills. A few sour notes here and there, got a little "raspy" voice atm which you can hear on the chorus (throat is getting better each day so it should be resolved soon).

Listen here: Run To The Hills

Johan

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357

Pretty good for a first take/first song demo.

Watch out on those C5's and D5's.  They take a LOT of support and compression, and you really need to have the weight shaved off.

Don't push too hard before you get into Volume 3.  There you will learn to not push so hard.   : ^ )

All the Best!

Bob

• ForsblomForsblom Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 59
    "Pretty good for a first take/first song demo."

Thanks @highmtn!

"Don't push too hard before you get into Volume 3.  There you will learn to not push so hard.   : ^ )"

I'll try not to :)

I'll have this one to compare with when I've completed Volume 3 and do a re-record :)

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    edited August 2016
    Ken tells us to "pare down the sound" as we go higher.

The "weight" is the heavy tone of the chest voice.  As we go higher in chest voice, we have to "shave off" some of that tone, little by little, so that the sound is much smaller when we get up high.

You can't drag all of the tone you use at C4 up to G4 or B4 or C5.  Each note gets a little less of the Chest sound in it as you go higher. By the time you are at C5, it almost sounds like head voice, because there is just a very small amount of chest tone still there at C5.

You do this gradually as you sing higher.

Bob