Home Welcome

Time to get working

danielwresdanielwres Pro Posts: 7
Hi,

I am a producer from Sweden that just jumped aboard this ship. I was writing a couple of tracks a while back and realised that I really wanted to record them myself. Currently my voice is not up to par so I am looking for avenues to improve. At a bare minimum I would like to somewhat easily lay down demo vocals that does not sound horrible, and ones I do not have to tweak in the mixing process for them to sound OK.

I have no real experience with singing "properly", I have just done it anyway as I've been playing but I think that I have reached the point where I really need to know some basics and learn a good foundation because my voice is all over the place. 

Looking forward to go through the material and to, hopefully, improve over the coming months.

Comments

• danielwresdanielwres Pro Posts: 7
    I will try to record something tomorrow and put here in this thread so you can hear what I will be starting from. It will not be pretty... just a heads up :).
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited February 2015

Hello, @danielwres.

Welcome to the forums!

Looking forward to your progress.

Bob

• danielwresdanielwres Pro Posts: 7
    Thank you!

I have started out watching the first episodes of the "main" level 1 content, and also started with the first pieces of audio excercises, lip roll and the tongue scale things.

I am surprised that it is so hard to do the breathing properly, I guess since I have been breathing "the other way around" for my whole life I might need a bit longer to make this "automatic".

When I sing for fun, i.e. out of the course and not doing these exercises, I notice that my main problem is that I miss some notes (doh, of course) but I also tend to slide into the notes, like aaaaAAAAA for an A, if you catch my drift. I think that annoys me the most.

I also have a pretty boomy and loud voice while talking, but when I sing it tends to become very thin sounding, like it is stuck in my upper chest/throat or something. Super stoked about getting started with the excercises and learning from the material though... 3 days in now :)