Home Off Topic

how can I learn to sing real songs?

jarleynatorjarleynator Member Posts: 9
edited April 2012 in Off Topic
Hi guys!
I am doing the KTVA-dvds for like 5 months now and my connection between chest- and headvoice is kinda well trained now. Its still very fun for me to do the exercises from the the dvd but when I try to sing a real song it really sounds like I never did any singing lessons in my life before.
Im at stage 2 now and I just want to ask you if there is something coming in stage 3 which shows me how to sing a song or if there is anything I can to right now to improve my actual singing skills.

greetz from germany guys! :)

Jarleynator

Best Answers

• KokonuhtKokonuht Member, Enrolled Posts: 658
    Answer ✓
    Bob said pretty much it! 

Well... don't forget to know your song and put your soul and emotion into it as well ;)
  • Ken TamplinKen Tamplin Administrator, Moderator Posts: 446
    edited April 2012 Answer ✓

Thank you Bob, this is excellent advice and excactly as I would have instructed him,

"Sing the song just on the LAH vowel. Make sure you are using the techniques on the LAH as you sing the melody of the song. Go over and over any hard parts of the song, still on the lah. Compare the way your LAH is sounding on the melody as to how it sounds when you are doing a good job on the exercises. Keep it bright.

You should be able to bring more tone, and range extension into the song.

A song I do this on, for example, is "Hurt So Good". I belt this one out, and it includes a lot of high G's that are about at the top of my present belting chest voice. I sing it a little more robust, with a higher placement than the original recording. I also use a bit of distortion. It helps me to practice this song on the LAH to get comfy with the notes. I then go back and sing it normally and find that it's easier to access the high G's with less effort.

Another technique to practice on the same song is to remove the consonants while singing the words. Bring back in just enough consonant to have the minimum consonants needed to understand what you are saying. This helps to see that singing a song should be more of a constant tone (like a LAH) that should be interrupted as little as possible by consonants."

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Answer ✓

You're Welcome.  Glad to be of assistance. 

Bob

Answers