Home Off Topic

How to sound like

AltariqAltariq Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 42
I have a conflict of influence. My three biggest influences are Gackt, Tomiko van (do as infinity), and the distortion of Kurt Cobain how can these three styles mix together? Almost all of them seem at odds in some way. Except Gackt and Cobain. Also how does Gackt soften his voice so much in the song "redemption"? How could I mix them all in some way as a Baritone? Is there any artist who does something similar to mixing all or even a few of these sounds that you know of?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

You're picking some very contrasting sounds to say you want to use.  

When you get good at cutting back the air and using safe distortion, you can blend some distortion into a clean sound like Gackt or Tomiko.  
    It only takes a very small amount of distortion added to a clean sound to be audible.  

In redemption, in the more reserved parts, it's singing with the air pressure cut way back, and for the airy part he uses a little less cord closure to allow a bit of breathiness into the sound.  Be careful with that and don't use very much air for "effect" as it will dry out your cords if you do it very much. Just enough for the effect is plenty.

Bob
  • AltariqAltariq Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 42
    That makes perfect sense. I really want to be in the dead center of Tomiko and Gackt so I can have the freedom to move further into either direction as the particular emotion is needed. Is that possible?
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    I think it's quite possible.  You need to study both of their voices and emulate them.  We're all a mixture of our favorite vocalists.  I don't see a lot of conflict between the sounds of Tomiko and Gackt, but Cobain is a different world.  Still, you can superimpose a bit of safe distortion on just about any vocal style.