Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Singing while playing guitar

Hello,

A lot of time when I sing live, I am also playing the guitar. I'm about 3 weeks into the program and have noticed some vocal improvements. However, I feel like I'm not singing as effectively when playing the guitar. The rhythmic issue of doing both at the same time isn't a big problem. It's the breathing. I feel like I'm not breathing as deeply as I should be. For most of my range, I don't really notice a difference. But for higher notes, there is a difference. The support I need is not quite there and I end up straining more than I should. Without the guitar, it's no issue.

Any suggestions? Surely somebody here can relate or has made improvements in this area. Thank you.

Alan

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Although I'm primarily a drummer, I do play some guitar, and I usually do my workouts with a guitar.

Based on what you are saying about the high notes, I think that maybe you should also always have your guitar strapped-on so that you can related good support to having your guitar on.

I know that it's easier for me to connect with my feelings of support when I have a guitar there. I can feel the support and the guitar at the same time. I can associate having a guitar on with good support, including the high notes.

You may already be doing your exercises with a guitar on, but if not, give it a try. Try to embed the same feelings of support when you top out on the scales to what you do when you sing and play guitar.

All the Best.

Bob
  • alancralancr Pro Posts: 41
    Interesting. Something I hadn't thought of, but this would be easy to pull off. I'll give it a try. Thanks for the tip!
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    @alancr

Another nice thing about this is that if I'm playing the chords along with Ken, I'm more aware of what scale I'm singing. If I stop the playback to repeat an exercise, I can play the chord for myself.