Home The Singer's Lobby

How to sing harmony

GooFanaticGooFanatic Pro Posts: 15
edited July 2015 in The Singer's Lobby
Hi guys,
do you know any exercise which trains your ears for singing an harmony voice ?

I always try it when I'm alone in the car to a random song and lately startet so sing the major/minor third and fifth to a random note on the keyboard for at least 20 minutes a day.
I really wanna reach the point where I can sing a harmony voice to any song I hear without practice.

Do you have any other idea to practice that ?
Thanks yall
GooFanatic

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    What you are doing now is what I've always done. Just train your ear to automatically hear the major or minor third and the fifth, and that will cover a ton of harmonies. Then you can work on sevenths, major sevenths, etc.

I can hear a song I've never heard before and immediately sing a harmony part, just because it becomes so easy when you've done it for so long. You're just making chords by singing harmonically-related intervals to the main melody.

I'm sometimes startled when I listen to a song that I've sung harmony along to for years. I realize that on many of them, there is no harmony part. My brain is just used to adding harmony to songs whether or not they actually have harmony in the recordings. When I'm not singing lead vocals in the band I play in, I'm almost always singing harmony along to the song, whether it's into my mic or just to myself as I play along. To me, harmony has become a way of life. My brain can't help but "hear" harmony parts.

Bob