Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Singing N00b

Hey guys!

I'm a brand new KTVA Pro member with no background in singing. I've never taken lessons before and thought I would give this a try. I'm not much of a singer, but I've been forced to a few times since nobody else would step up when we would get together to play some music :disappointed:

I aspire one day to be able to sing like the mighty Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden).

Now for some references -

Here is a music video I made recently. I'm playing guitar, bass, programmed the drums, singing, and mixed/mastered the music. I also produced, filmed, directed and edited the video for anyone that cares :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_OvjQClW6A

This is a gig me and a few guys from work did for Halloween in 2011 (me on guitar/vocals):

And another in 2012:

I didn't record my first day, but here is my second day of the exercises:

Thanks for listening and feel free to subscribe to my YouTube channel for more updates :)

- Tommy

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Hi, Tommy.

Great to have you aboard. I enjoyed hearing some of your work.

On your Lah exercises, go ahead and open up the jaw and mouth more. A lot more. You may not be used to it, so don't hurt yourself, but go ahead and drop the jaw as far as you comfortably can and open up the throat. Make sure you're doing the belly breath while keeping the chest expanded. Your chest is rising on most breaths. You want to suspend the chest and do the movement from your belly, while keeping the chest expanded.

Your voice will grow. Also: Smile. Raise your cheeks. This helps lift the soft palate, and also when you smile, expose your upper teeth. This will help to brighten the sound.

Your pitch is good. You are singing kind of small. That's OK. You're just feeling the scales out so far. You will need to build breath support.

On the lip rolls, you had a little trouble getting the lips to vibrate. Here are a couple of tips. Keep the lips moist. Make the sound in the center area of your lips; in other words don't spread the air across the width of your lips. You can work with a smaller stream of air in the center and keep it more relaxed and controlled there. That may or may not help you. It helps me. I had a lot of trouble with lip rolls until I got them figured out. They are a great and beneficial exercise. Just trilling in the smaller center space helps to conserve air and to concentrate the beam of air in a more controlled way. That helps me to relax the face, which is key to the lip rolls. Also the higher notes seem to be easier with the smaller stream of air.

You will get to know these scales (and your voice) like the back of your hand.

You're off to a great start. This is a long journey that you have begun. The longer you keep working Ken's program, the further your voice will develop and grow. Enjoy the journey!

Bob
  • t.wildt.wild Pro Posts: 2
    @highmtn Thanks for the valuable feedback! Posts like yours makes it well worth the price of admission :)