Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

1st Anniversary Demo! Bon Jovi - Wanted Dead Or Alive

https://youtu.be/vcqMyBCgm1k

This vocal cover marks my 1st anniversary of doing KTVA. I have just decided to move on to Volume 3 of the course this week.

I am very happy with my progress so far. I finally have all of the core components working together now: correct breathing, support, chord closure, uvula retraction, relaxed neck and chest, vowel modification, etc. I still have a long way to go before it becomes second nature.

The backing vocals are not me, they came with the karaoke track.

Thanks for listening!

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited September 2015
    Happy Anniversary, Sam. You seem to be making progress now, after all your hard work. Congratulations.

Welcome to Volume 3. Fasten your seat belt.

Bob
  • sam.ksam.k Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 41
    @highmtn

Thanks Bob :) and many thanks also for all of your attention and support throughout the year. Knowing that you will always be there to answer questions or review my demos is an important part of the program for me. If we were on the same side of the planet I'd buy you a beer.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You're welcome, Sam. I enjoy hearing folks like you grow your voice and triumph over your obstacles. We're in this together. I celebrate your victories with you. Next time I have a beer (it's been a few years) I'll raise the glass to your vocal victories! It's my privilege to be able to help you on your journey.

Bob
  • wrokonwrokon Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 21
    Sam, sounds great! I'm a couple months away from two years and still pretty far from this level.

One question, you seem to have that u-shaped tongue down. Did that just come naturally over time?

-Chris
    Hi @wrokon

Thanks for watching and glad you enjoyed! :)

I didn't have the u-shaped tongue at first when I started KTVA, but it did come naturally within the first 6 months back when I was doing Volume 1.

I recall that when I started Volume 1, and followed Ken's advice to keep the tongue flat and away from the back of the throat, I felt like it was piling up a bit and constricting my airway a little near the esophagus. To counter this I also need to extend the tongue forward in the mouth just a little bit so there is enough room for it to lay flat against the bottom of my mouth and agains the front of the throat all the way down to the root of the tongue. Ken mentions this later too, he calls it the "lizard tongue".

When I do this I am using a small knot of muscles in the tongue in the back half of the mouth near the middle. The sensation is pushing forward and down on my tongue right under the uvula, most of the rest of my tongue (the tip and down the back of the throat) is fairly relaxed.

They are the same tongue muscles that activate when I yawn. This is just an idea, but try doing a big strong yawn and see if your tongue naturally forms a U shape.

Also, I find that once you are properly laying your tongue flat along the base of your jaw, and keeping the throat as clear and open as you can, your tongue can't help but form a U shape, because that is the shape of the bottom of your mouth that it is laying on!

I am no vocal coach, but I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Sam
  • ForsblomForsblom Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 59
    @sam.k
    Well done! Looking forward to hear more of your recordings in the future! :)
  • TheBigLegowskiTheBigLegowski Pro Posts: 4
    Hey @sam.k
    Really impressive! you totally done this justice, one of my favourites!
    Look forward to more from you.
    Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers mate. Just noticing that I haven't posted a video in ages. Must do another one.