Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Vomiting reflex when I try to go higher :-(

Hi!

OK, I've just started the method, gone through the whole volume 1 and now trying to practice with the tracks...

My issue so far is that when I sing the scales and try to go higher, for example with the lip Rolling exercise but as well with an AA, I get to a point where I have kind of a vomiting reflex that makes me cough, which obviously prevents me from continuing the exercise. I definitely feel that my throat is not open than usual with those exercices so it seems to go in the right direction, but what do I do wrong??

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    We would need to see and hear a video to see what you are doing.
  • OsanaOsana Pro Posts: 3
    Hi there, and sorry for replying so late. Busy schedule...

Thank you for the feedback. I do not have a possibility to make a video for the moment so I will keep practicing and try to find out why this happens and how/if I can change it.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    A wild guess without a demo would be that when you reach your passagio, you are getting a feeling like regurgitation, or gagging, that is simply something that goes away when keeping the throat open while going through the passaggio. Your throat may be reacting "as if" you are going to choke, and so is trying to "protect" you from choking with a reflex action.