Home The Singer's Lobby

Justin Hawkins

I bet some of you know Justin Hawkins from The Darkness, he's got a real crazy voice, with alot of headvoice stuff in it.
I'm curious about his technique, due the fact, that it would fit my voice perfectly.
On the other hand I tend to believe, too much headvoice is damaging the vocal chords, but there are singers out there like King Diamond, hitting those high notes with their growing age.
What do you think?
Is it pure headvoice, or does he use just a very heady mix in the upper range?

For those who don't know them^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKjZuykKY1I

I really dig them :P

Cheers
Dariolicious

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited October 2015
    When he goes up to that heady sound, it's pretty much head voice. There is just a touch of low-end in it, so you could call it a heady mix, but there's hardly enough low in it to call it anything but head. It sounds like head voice with a lowered larynx. It's so airy that it's close to falsetto. It's not the timbral head voice (reinforced) that Ken teaches in Building Head Voice. The exception to that would be at 3:00. There, that actually is more of a mixed sound, almost a whistle/chest register, not airy at all. It's obviously overdubbed, so whether he can switch to that voice in a live environment from the head voice sound is uncertain.

Bob