Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Pounding headache when singing high notes - anyone heard of this?

IcedGuardianIcedGuardian Pro Posts: 2
edited December 2015 in Vocal Health and Wellness
Some background information: I started singing about 10 months ago from 100% scratch. My instructor works with Xxxx Xxxxxxxx's other course. Through this instruction I've gone from from being able to croak out about an octave and a half worth of gravelly sounding notes to having 4 octaves of bright and full-sounding tone.

(As an aside, I just picked up KTVA a few days ago, have watched Vol. 1 several times, and plan to start transitioning to this technique within the next few days)

Lately I've started practicing more and more songs in the style I want to gett into, ie; mostly European symphonic/power metal, and I find that when I sing or belt notes in the higher register, I feel intense pressure around my temples which causes intense headaches.

Has anyone else experienced or heard of this or similar issues before? If so, what exactly am I doing wrong?

(I do understand that Xxxx didn't have Michael Kiske, Matt Barlow, or Jorn Lande in mind when he designed his program)

Much appreciated!

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Hi, IcedGuardian!

Without seeing video or hearing audio of your voice, it would be difficult to guess what you may be doing incorrectly. Some get headaches simply from trying to go further than they are presently capable of doing with correct techniques.

On this forum, we only talk about how to use KTVA techniques. It is not advisable to try to incorporate other methods and combine them with KTVA. It's best to focus on doing things according to Ken's instructions from the ground up.

Welcome to KTVA!

Bob
  • Thanks for the response! Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was promoting a different program. Let me see if I can put it clearer:

I started off a little less than a year go using a different program that was able to get me off the ground from being a total neophyte, but I've also developed some problems from it - specifically that singing high notes makes me feel intense pressure in the temples that causes headaches.

I've just begun the process of transitioning to KTVA/open throat technique, mostly because I want to go in a melodic metal direction, and the program I've been using doesn't really cater to that. In the meantime though, I've noticed quite a bit of discussion as to how SLS differs from KTVA, so maybe someone here will have heard of this particular problem, and will know what's going on.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    A demo of you doing what you do that gives you the headaches would help a lot. A video demo would be best.