Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Greetings from a future member who's trotting the globe!

What's up, everyone? My name is John Devilman. I'm a tattoo artist, actor, (director, editor, writer), I used to do animation for FOX, graphic designer, etc. etc. Although that list could seem like me bragging, (and, maybe it was, subconsciously), I put together it together to show that I am, at my core, someone who likes creating art. That being said, I always want my art to be received in the way I intended; to evoke a certain response from someone, to cultivate a feeling of emotion in them from my work. (GOD! That sounds pretentious! *Apologies.) Despite my artistic disciplines being what they are, never, NEVER have I had such an immediate return on my work as I had the first real time I did karaoke in front of an audience of strangers.

So, let's rewind to the first time I ever did karaoke. I performed "Come Sail Away" by Styx. Mind you, I'd only done karaoke once before with a small group of friends in private and we were all too inebriated to care one way or another about it. Other than that, the most I would ever do was sing along to CD's while I was driving or serenading clients as I put ink to skin, (tattooing can be meticulous and boring and singing helps put me in the zone).

Well, the outcome of my karaoke performance was one that set my life on a new course. The people who were all at their tables, coddling their adult beverages, sprang up in front of the makeshift karaoke stage. They began putting their arms around strangers, cheering me on when I unexpectedly hit high notes that I don't even know how I got to, dancing about, singing along to the choruses... there was even a guy who tried to "stage dive" from the bar that was located next to the stage. It was exhilarating. I immediately fell in love with karaoke and that feeling of "immediate return" that i spoke of earlier. That my voice could have such an impact on so many people in front of me... it was so different from the other forms of art that I make. I don't post one of my paintings online and have a group of people show up at my house, half drunk, rocking their bodies back and forth. No, this was something now... and it was exhilarating!

FFWD a little bit. I've come to love karaoke and can do marginally better than people would expect, (which isn't much at a karaoke bar, where most people expect everyone to be an absolute train wreck), yet have noticed a plethora of limitations my lack of knowledge has shackled me with. Well, a friend hears me sing and suggests I get an app called "Smule Sing!" I comply and am immediately hooked. It lets you upload songs that can be turned into duets with many people around the world. I start hearing SO MANY GOOD singers joining my duets, putting my voice to shame, and the spark I had about singing is now lit into a blazing fire. I want to know how they're doing those things with their voices. I want to make others feel the way they make me feel when I hear them performing. It's entrancing!

I scour youtube for online tutorials on vocal training. I'm sure you've all been there. You know how much information there is... most of it leading to a sales pitch... and how hard it can be to sift through all of that to find a course that will cater to your particular needs. That's how I came here. I've done extensive research for over a month now and have come to believe that THIS is where I need to be.

Unfortunately, I'm not a member yet, (I've been traveling the world on a shoe string budget for the last 8 months and can't afford to buy the course AND still make it back home to Los Angeles in a few weeks.... although I may just say "to hell with it" and buy it anyway, stranding myself wherever I am and using the techniques I learn to do busking on the street, using that money to get back home. ;) haha), but I plan to buy the course as soon as finances allow.

In the meantime, I genuinely, truly look forward to immersing myself in this community and growing with you all. I can't tell you how excited I am, (but the mini-novelette I just wrote should give you some fair indication. :P ).

P.s. Here's a link to the video of my doing karaoke. Video quality is poop and, like I said, I don't know what I'm doing, but I hope to remedy that soon with this course!
https://facebook.com/Bunzomatic/videos/274711282564447/

Comments