Home Psychology of Singing
Options

Smiling into the sound and open throat while singing live (psychology)

Does anyone wonder when they're singing live using KTVA method if any audience members are thinking (why is he smiling so much? and why is his mouth open so wide?)

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    The thought may occur, but because I know that I need the smile as part of the bright sound I want, I then am smiling because I like the bright sound I am getting... So I don't worry that they might be wondering why I am smiling.

Same thing with the open jaw, and even the tongue... Usually when all three of these are going to the fullest extent is when I'm singing a really big note that needs all three to be at max singing positions. If the note is supported and all of the other moving targets are in perfect alignment, that note is going to be so big and beautiful that I'm not worried at all about whether or not the audience doesn't know why I'm using each technique, and it's happening more as a natural relaxation response that I have built-up from practicing Ken's lessons.

Bob