Home About Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy

New to singing

I just bought the Ken's program and started the first stage been doing it for about two weeks. I must admit I can't sing at all. I bought the program to learn how to sing. I don't really understand how to apply what's being taught. When I sing I sound really flat and not good at all. I am determined to learn but I need some help here to make an understanding of all this great knowledge.

When I sing with my mouth open and tongue dropped I sound worse than when it's partially open. I don't think I'm doing it right? I play guitar so I know there's a right way to practice something and a wrong way that leads to frustration. I want to avoid the fustration as much as possible and build on a solid foundation so that I have a good reference point to always look back on.

I know this is a long journey just like learning any instrument but I need some help in in the right direction.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited March 2016

Hi, @Man426

Sounds like you should watch and practice the exercises in Basic Pitch.

If you have the download version of KTVA, then you should find Basic that as a separate folder within the main folder that contains the Volume 1 Main Movie. Look for a Folder named Basic Pitch.

If you have the DVD's, it's probably on a separate disc named Basic Pitch.

You'll need to work on your pitch if you're having problems with it.

Work with that for a while. Let the ideas about how to find and match pitches sink in. Try the exercises Ken demonstrates and practice the concepts.

After working on your pitch, then get back to the exercises. If you're having problems with the open mouth and the tongue dropped, you may be overdoing it a little bit. You can record a demo (Video would be best) and post it for feedback. The basic Lah scale is best. We can tell you a lot from that.

All the Best.

Bob
  • Man426Man426 Pro Posts: 4
    Thanks Bob! I do have the down load version so I will check it out. I was also wondering what do I need to do, or pay to go into the pro form? I would like to read more on everyone's progress and hang ups.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You need to copy and paste into an email to ktvaforums@gmail.com a copy of your purchase receipt from KTVA. Request a forums upgrade. Mention your username on the forums.
    Will do. Thanks again for the help!
    I just copied and pasted the receipt And sent it over so I will wait to hear back.
  • kaulferskaulfers Pro Posts: 300
    @Man426,

Yes, work the pitch program for a few weeks, but don't stop doing the Vol 1 training. Just keep it light and work in a room where you can hear yourself a touch more than Ken, or wear headpones if you have some time of mic setup.