Home Recording Techniques and Gear

how to record video and audio together?

Hello . i would like to know how the song cover video,s are made , i know how to record my singing with audacity when i have a karaoke version of the song i like to do , but how do you record it along with video and make it match ?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    There are a few ways to do it. You can have a high-quality audio mic, or an input on your video camera from a Mic Mixer, but probably the best way to do it is to have a DAW running and recording the vocal track, while simultaneously running the Video recording camera. Usually a single hand clap just before the song, recorded onto both the video soundtrack and the DAW Vocal Track will give you a nice visual pulse so that you can line them up (time-wise). That way the recorded track in the DAW can be time-aligned to the video recording of you singing when you put the audio track from your DAW into your video editing software.

Line the tracks up in time, and mute the video's original soundtrack, and that gives you a studio-quality live recording of your song. Before you make the final version of the video, edit out the handclap. You could also use a count-off (One, Two, Three, Four...).
  • NeilSNeilS Pro Posts: 9
    Another way to go would be the Zoom Q4 or Q8 - I have the Q4 and while needs a good amount of light (doesn't do really low light like some cameras) the sound is really good, and I find just tilting a shade on a nearby lamp is enough light. The Q8 has a great mic as well as able to use a studio style mic or two (has phantom power on XLR inputs on back - as well as a better lens for low light. It is a fairly wide angle lens so things look odd when up close, but overall I'm finding it great for doing YouTube songs.
  • kaulferskaulfers Pro Posts: 300