Home SHOW TIME - Band Rehearsals and Performance Day!!!
Options

Most intense (but fun) hour of singing yet!

To prepare for my band's next concert, I decided to go the extra mile in my solo practice today and sing through my band's entire setlist of 17 songs but one key higher than the original.
Some on here (including Ken if I remember correctly) mentioned how much practicing songs in higher keys can help you with the original key on performance day. I focused on keeping a bright timbre and managing the amount of weight I carried into the upper register and it was surprisingly smooth sailing for the most part.
What is crazy is that even though the last songs were the most difficult (Led Zep and Tom Jones), I felt very strong and had a surprisingly easy time even in the higher key.
The weird thing is that certain songs actually felt EASIER in the higher key.
I suppose that might be because the higher key pushes some songs past your register breaks.
Here is the list of songs I did:
1. Hard Day's Night
2. Proud Mary
3. I Saw The Light
4. Handle Me With Care
5. Get Back
6. The Weight (we do it higher in key of C)
7. Back in the USSR
8. The Letter
9. Runaway
10. Thrill Has Gone
11. Don't Let Me Down
12. House of the Rising Sun
13. Hello It's Me
14. Long Cool Woman
15. Green River
16. It's Not Unusual
17. How Many More Times

I am so pumped at my progress so far and even my bandmates have commended how well I've been singing these songs lately.
Practicing with backing tracks alone is good but I'm excited to see how much easier doing them in the higher key will help.
Anyone else had success with this practicing strategy?

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    Yes, it works. Be careful. Sometimes when we are having the most fun is when we get a little careless and go a little too far. That can result in setbacks.

As long as you remain mindful to keep your foot lightly on the brakes as you are coming down the mountain, you should be OK. Watch out for the hairpin curves, though...

Beware "too much fun"...

Monitor yourself and this will make singing the songs in the regular key like taking a break.
    ;^)

Bob
  • Options
    matt53matt53 Pro Posts: 189
    Thanks, Bob. I have seen what too much fun can do to the voice. Your suggestions for avoiding oversinging really helped me going into my last performance.
    I can't wait to post some videos from our next concert.
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    Great, @matt53. I'm glad you're making strides with your vocal journey!

Bob
  • Options
    streeterstreeter Pro Posts: 679
    Good to hear you are pumped and motivated once again mate.