Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Tonsillectomy - could removing the tonsils affect my singing ?

Hei guys,

a few days ago I visited the doctor cause I had a slight flue and he told me perhaps my tonsils have to be removed cause they're way too big.
If they really have to be removed, could that affect my singing ? I mean that does kind of change the whole resonance in my mouth and upper throat doesn't it ?

Has anyone experienced this in my age ? I'm 20 years old by the way ..
Thanks yall
GooFanatic

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Some people have come to the forums to say that they wanted to have their tonsils removed so that they would sound better. KTVA would never recommend that someone have elective surgery of that kind.

It can take a while before you are feeling better after having throat surgery like that. It may change the acoustics in there, but it shouldn't be anything that you won't adapt to in relatively little time. Just give yourself time to heal before jumping in and stretching things around.

In the 50's and 60's young kids were routinely sent to have their tonsils removed, often just due to the belief that they would have fewer sore throats if their tonsils were removed. Today it's not so common.

You might want to get a second medical opinion to see if another physician agrees with you having a tonsilectomy.