Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Disturbed's version of The Sound of Silence

lrobertslroberts Posts: 20Volume 1
Rarely do I prefer a cover to the original, but this is one of those times. So I had to pass along this cover The Sound of Silence, which I happened to catch on Conan a few weeks ago. Taking on an iconic song, giving it a new and dramatic spin, and going outside of their usual genre of heavy metal, David Draiman and Disturbed really has something special here. They could have done a heavy metal cover, but they went the opposite direction. I hear him navigate through tonal shifts at 1:45, 2:06 and 3:00, where he seems to add in a little heavy metal style distortion. I would love to hear Ken and/or Bob give their analysis of David's vocals in this song, from range to tone, to phrasing. His natural voice type seems to be baritone, but crosses into tenor range.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Posts: 11,650Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    Wow. That was a really interesting and good performance, with a lot of variance from the original.

He's using a little bit of everything in this.

Starting out on notes that you have to have a little bit of baritone to be able to hit, F#2, he's in a full voice. He has to shed this girth later on.

He establishes the song in this lower octave, and then at 1:45, goes up an octave, singing in a mix of head and light chest. At 2:06 even more head in the mix and then a little light distortion. He kind of flits into full head here and there, like on "The Sound" at 2:20, but even there, it's not an airy head voice. There are a couple of light vocal breaks (cries) that help to hear when he's going into head voice.

By 3:10 he's introducing growl. He's using girth in his midvoice here, for emphasis in the more powerful part of the song.

This is a very dramatic and impressive performance. I feel a little Disturbed after hearing it.

Bob
  • lrobertslroberts Posts: 20Volume 1

I started working on this song a couple of weeks ago. After a couple of year's of working Ken's program it feels possible. Since starting the program, my comfort zone has shifted higher, and I have trouble singing with enough volume on the lower notes in the first part of the song. In the higher parts, the phrases that I struggle with most with are "Take my arms that I might reach you," at 2:45, and "songs..that voices never share," at 2:05. I'm trying to do those without yelling! As far as growl goes, I have not even tried. I've heard its a technique that metal singers use without hurting their voice, but I don't know where to begin.
    Thanks for your help as always!