Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Hello everybody! I'm Dustin, new to singing, and I'd love to have some advice!

Hello everybody! I'm Dustin and I'd love to introduce myself.

I'm a 19 year old guy living in Germany. Actually, I'm on a trade college learning design and creating movies and visual effects, and also I work as a part-time 3D artist in the gaming industry. And I would love to learn singing. Weird, right? :D

I love power metal, play electric guitar and enjoy singing the songs I like :) Over time, I greatly increased my vocal range, but, without a doubt, the way I'm singing is wrong. I don't have any professional experience, never had singing lessons, even though I'm enjoying singing more and more... :o
When I was listening to Anthony Vincent on his YouTube channel Ten-second songs, I really was blown away by somebody who was singing together with him.
Of course it was Ken Tamplin.
After I was visiting his website, I saw that the singer of my favorite band, DragonForce, was also taught by Ken.

There are many tutorials online, but I didn't like the way they explain, or they just assume some basic knowledge I just don't have! :/ So I have the feeling that I have found the perfect solution to start learning singing as a hobby!

I have got a few questions; I want to know that I'm really correct here...
1) What will I learn in the DVDs I can download? Is it suitable for people who want to sing great, but just as a hobby, and don't have experience or knowledge at all?
2) I'm just a student, thus I don't have that much money and would have to save up quite some time to be able to buy all three volumes. Is it also possible to just buy just the first volume and buy the rest afterwards?
3) There are even more discs included in another bundle which is more expensive; is this needed as well to develop a correct singing technique? Or is it covered in the three volumes in the "how to sing better than anyone else"? Was it the pro course? That's affordable with about 200$ I have to admit. I hope it covers everything :o
4) Can you recommend any free tutorials? Most of the tutorials from Ken Tamplin don't help me that much because I don't know where to start :(

That's about it! The introduction ended up pretty long, but I wanted to properly introduce myself and tell you the things that currently keep me from buying the videos :D

Thank you very much for reading!

-Crimi (aka. Dustin)

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Hi, @Crimzan!

Nice to hear from you. I'll try to answer your questions.

1. You will be taught the basics of singing with correct, safe techniques. This is the most professional-grade singing technique that exists, AND it's the best technique for new singers. Just become a blank slate and pay full attention to what Ken teaches. Forget any notions you may have, no matter where you got them. Do what Ken says and you will do well.

2. Individual volumes are not available at this time. The full package is very reasonably priced for what you get. If you can't afford the full package, you can get the Weekend Warriors course and at least get some of the basics to help you get started. I strongly recommend that you get the full course, because the Weekend Warriors is excellent, but if you really want to take your voice to the level of being able to rock out on Dragon Force or similar vocals, even as a hobbyist, I think you would want to REALLY ROCK your voice all the way. Weekend Warriors does not included student-level access to the forums, either, so you miss out on a lot of support that comes with student access. IF you want the full course later, then you end up spending more total money by first buying Weekend Warrior. The PRO Bundle is really something you should consider.

We all had to sacrifice to get the KTVA package that we want. Most of us fooled around and waited, because it seemed like a big purchase. You want this. Go for it.

3. Yes, the Pro Bundle is the best value for the money. It's a gold mine of information and will last you years. You will keep improving for years to come. Consider it an investment in a future that will include you becoming the best singer you can possibly be. You deserve it.

4. Tutorials are fine, but you need a complete course, or you don't really have any clear direction, or a full picture of what you need to be doing.

Figure out what you really want to do and make a commitment to doing that.

Rock On!

Bob
  • CrimzanCrimzan Pro Posts: 3
    Hello Bob!
    Thank you very much for your answer! :)

Okay, I think I'll save up for the pro course then. It's only 50$ more, and if I can save up 200, 50 more should work as well :smiley: I don't do the Weekend Warriors then. Sounds interesting as well, but saving up for the Academy should be okay first :P

I also can't go ahead and buy the pro content afterwards as well right? Either the complete course, or the complete pro course right:open_mouth:

About the tutorials, of course you are correct and I really would like to buy the course, but I would like to practice when saving up the money for the course :) Like trying to develop the chest and head voice, so that I have something I can practice while waiting for my money :D Or do you recommend not doing tutorials at all? You are right that you don't know where to start and what to learn next of you are finished with one video :pensive:

Thank you very much for your helpful post, it definitely feels like the correct, or more like the best choice :D:)

-Crimi
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    It's less expensive to purchase the Pro Bundle all at once, but currently you can pay for an upgrade. I think you save a bit if you buy it as a bundle instead of upgrading later. Also, it's possible that KTVA may not always offer upgrades.

You never know how long you might wait to get the pro content, and it's possible that things could change in the interim.
  • CrimzanCrimzan Pro Posts: 3
    Okay!
    I in! I bought the pro course!

Did the first few lessons of the first volume already. Have to practice a lot, but one day, I'll get there :)

Thank you for your encouragement!

-Crimi