Home Favorite Music, Vocal Movies, and Videos

Peter Murphy - Cut You Up. What technique is he using?

Hi! I've been listening to this song(Cut You Up) by Peter Murphy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrfFHzqGBZI

He really like his timbre and tone. Is he lowering the larynx? It sounds really cool. I'd like to know if anyone have any insight into his technique?

/Thanks

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Yes, he is using a little bit of lowered larynx, especially in the places where he sounds a little bit like David Bowie on "Let's Dance".

At the same time, he isn't sounding real covered, just deep, while staying bright at the same time. It's an interesting sound.

Bob
  • JonasFinnLarssonJonasFinnLarsson Pro Posts: 200
    Ye it is really cool. Is there anything you can do to get that sound? or maybe i'll just have to experiment. I can lower the larynx on single notes but singing a phrase is harder. I also wanna stay bright at the same time.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You're going to have to maintain all of your brightness and learn to also keep the throat open to the max. The deep sound comes from the open, hollow space in the back of the throat and a bit of partially-lowered larynx.
  • JonasFinnLarssonJonasFinnLarsson Pro Posts: 200
    Ah thanks that helped. Man it is hard :P I'll try covering this song and see if I get it down.