Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Over pronunciation?

Jewel142Jewel142 Posts: 13Member
Does anyone else have a problem with over pronunciation? My boyfriend who is also the bass player in my band tells me that I tend to over pronunciate some of my words. Should I learn the songs with just the vowels? Any suggestions?

It's very frustrating because he says I sound like I'm speaking some of the words instead of singing them but can't actually explain to me what I'm doing wrong.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 10,407Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    Yes. You should only use the minimum amount of consonants necessary for people to be able to understand the lyrics. Better to underpronounce than to overpronounce.

If you have the KTVA course, the portion on applying KTVA methods to songs will give you instructions on how to go about this.

Bob
  • Thank you. I do have the full course. I skipped ahead to that section. It just feels so strange not to fully pronounce the words. Should I learn the melody just using the vowel modifications first to make sure I am in key and on pitch?
    Yes, it feels very awkward at first... that is, until you Get It! Then things start to fall into place in a much better way. It changes your approach to singing, for the better.

Yes, to work through a song on the vowels only and to apply the mods when appropriate, helps to simplify matters when you put it all together, with the minimized consonants and real lyrics. That way you can work through any parts that seem to be a bit high for you and ensure you are modifying correctly. Then add back all of the obstacle course of the consonants.
  • Thank you very much!
  • Hi, to get the jist of underpronunciation, one of the best modern singers to listen to and try to feel how he feels, so to speak, I find is Chris Cornell.
    It's like 'a naturally drunk voice' for want of a better term.
    He still hits all the high notes, his range is quite impeccable, but getting a feel for that tone is great for stopping overpronunciation.

Actually, almost all of the old blues artists are the same, but waaay less tiring on your voice.

Listen for that whiskey soaked thing going on and blues it up for a bit.
    That ought to train you out of it.

You know why?

Cause you said 'it feels strange not to overpronunciate'.
    If you mess around with the blues it's gonna feel strange not to underpronunciate!

Reverse psychology, Jedi mind trick, call it what you will.
    Happy singing!

Kind Regards,

Jenny.
  • I am almost 8 yrs into singing. I have really "over enunciated" along the way. I never realized what in the world I was doing until I started recording myself. Then I was mortified.... but for a long time I wondered what on earth was I doing to make myself sound so wrong? I think a lot of it had to do with not knowing what to do with vowels. I learned bits on my own but this course is going to really deal with all of that in a very complete way! I also totally murdered "R's" at the beginning of singing and "T's"! I guess I really wanted to make sure everyone knew for sure when those words ended. :blush:
    Ha, ha! Yes. We sing on vowels. Consonants are interruptions in our singing, and close off our open throat that we work so hard to keep going.