Home Vocal Health and Wellness
Options

Hoarseness

DiegoDiego Moderator, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,157
edited June 2016 in Vocal Health and Wellness

Hey Guys,
I was wondering , what is the best way to get rid of voice hoarseness? By the way, I love your channel, you have an amazing voice. My range is a B2-G4. I try to go for the higher notes but I end up screaming all the notes and then comes Hoarseness.

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    Hi, Diego.

You'll have to stop screaming the notes. Oversinging is the main cause of hoarseness. Part of learning to sing well is learning to control the volume and the amount of air you are using. Singing with too much air pressure will cause you to go hoarse. The more you continue to sing that way, the more you will encounter hoarseness.

Part of singing powerfully is giving the illusion that you are singing with a lot of force, when in fact you are holding the air back. Even when singing with distortion this is true. You don't really scream that hard at all.

Bob
  • Options
    Thank you, Bob,
    What should I do now? Should I rest my voice? For a couple of days?
    I kind of lost my tone and pitch so, I'd like to know what should I do if I get voice hoarseness in the future. :smile:
  • Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    You should sing lightly and try to encourage your lost notes to gently come back. Try to keep the cords together and do what you can to try to lightly phonate on each note. If the notes won't sound, then give it a rest and try again later.
  • Options
    Thank you, :smiley:

What is your vocal range Bob?
  • Options
    From about D2 to A5. It varies. I shift into head around C5, but if I want to I can sing a D5 in chest. It kind of fades into a mix from about B4 up to about Eb5 and after that, it's pretty much head voice. On a good day I can hit lower notes and higher notes, but those are more on the fringe of my range.
  • Options
    Hahaha. I'm looking back on this. Oh my.
  • Options
    doc_ramadanidoc_ramadani Administrator, 2.0 PRO, Facility Management Posts: 3,978