Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Is to much water unhealthy?

I once was drinking a lot of water while singing and my voice got really tired.
So the next night I tried drinking less water and things got better.

Is it bad to drink too much water?

Comments

• huberthubert Pro Posts: 125
    edited June 2016
    Too much of everything is bad for us. Like with the medicine - if you take the right amount of a drug it's therapeutic but if you take too much it's a poison for our body. Too little doesn't work anyway. Balance (right amount of everything) is the key ;)
  • Hello,@JoshB ,I read that Bob@highmtn suggests drinking while doing your practice.

My personal advice would be quiet drink your water, but drink small amounts every time you need.
  • JoshBJoshB Pro Posts: 100
    Alright guys thanks. Do you have a technical answer as to why it may be worse? EG: Taking to much saliva off the chord
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Water is what your saliva is mostly made of. Water won't hurt you unless you just overdo it. We don't want to overdo anything. Water is the best thing to drink. Everything else is an indirect and less efficient way to hydrate our bodies. We can't live without water. We can live without soda, coffee, milkshakes, beer... We have to live if we want to sing. We sing better when we are hydrated.
  • JoshBJoshB Pro Posts: 100
    I drink a ton of water when I sing but I feel like it tires me out faster. Does that makes sense? Thanks for all the help by the way Bob hahaha. I know you respond to a lot of my nonsense so thank you very much lol :)
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited June 2016
    A ton is probably about 1995 lbs too much.
  • mkeymontmkeymont Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 43
    We should remember that it takes somewhere around 6 hours for a sip of water to make it's way through your body to hydrate your vocal cords, so you should start watering your "vocal garden" 1st thing in the morning, and continue throughout the day if you really want to have a good, well hydrated practice session.
  • @JoshB

That is the modification of glycemia which causes the water in large quantities.

Look at the time of intake and the amount (timing).

People who have some small degree of insulin resistance (prediabetes, it is normal, in most cases) altered their blood sugar levels by drinking plenty of water and generally benefits them because of the nature of their problem.

Not saying it's your problem, but handle the amount and intervals usually a good strategy.

Does it seem familiar? @highmtn
  • vmalheirosvmalheiros Pro Posts: 105
    edited June 2016
    it doesn't make any sense IMO. It's probably something else, maybe you're drinking more water because you are working your voice longer than you're used to, or perhaps pushing your voice more, which would make it tired faster.
  • it doesn't make any sense IMO. It's probably something else, maybe you're drinking more water because you are working your voice longer than you're used to, or perhaps pushing your voice more, which would make it tired faster.

But not always simultaneous vocal fatigue is fatigue from other parts of the body.

My case, it may be useful
  • twelvedesigntwelvedesign Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 239
    mkeymont said:

We should remember that it takes somewhere around 6 hours for a sip of water to make it's way through your body to hydrate your vocal cords...

I heard it was more like 20 minutes, but that might be only when other parts of the body are hydrated... regardless of the actual time, it is good idea to keep your self hydrated throughout the day. I drink one large glass of water every morning, and then sip on water and tea all day.

One thing that I learned for sure, is: if you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated.