Hey Dudes and Divas!

Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forum, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA forum - the rest of the forum is hidden from view.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Cool down after singing

Hi there guys,

I've just have my first full on singing session in many many years. Doing a lot of pretty screamy stuff like AC/DC, CCR, Led Zep etc...the voice actually held up a lot better than I thought it would, but it is a little croaky.

Does cooling down really help with swelling on the cords after singing, and what is a good cool down routine?

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 9,916Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    If your cords are swelling, then you're hitting them a little too hard with too much air. So prevention of swelling in the first place is a good idea.

Good cool-down exercises are the Tongue Exercise and the lip burbles. The basic Lah triad is also a good cool-down. In other words you cool down on the exercises that you first use when you warm-up. That should help your cords to relax.
  • WaynebWayneb Posts: 11Member
    Thanks for that. Not sure if there was really any swelling or not but I was the tiniest but hoarse afterwards when speaking, but was fine after an hour or so. And yes I probably did go a little too hard at times. Was basically an audition so needed to impress, which fortunately I did. :)