Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Cool down after singing

Hi there guys,

I've just have my first full on singing session in many many years. Doing a lot of pretty screamy stuff like AC/DC, CCR, Led Zep etc...the voice actually held up a lot better than I thought it would, but it is a little croaky.

Does cooling down really help with swelling on the cords after singing, and what is a good cool down routine?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    If your cords are swelling, then you're hitting them a little too hard with too much air. So prevention of swelling in the first place is a good idea.

Good cool-down exercises are the Tongue Exercise and the lip burbles. The basic Lah triad is also a good cool-down. In other words you cool down on the exercises that you first use when you warm-up. That should help your cords to relax.
  • WaynebWayneb Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for that. Not sure if there was really any swelling or not but I was the tiniest but hoarse afterwards when speaking, but was fine after an hour or so. And yes I probably did go a little too hard at times. Was basically an audition so needed to impress, which fortunately I did. :)