Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

The Future for Rock Singers?

ikingiking Posts: 90Pro
edited August 2016 in The Singer's Lobby
Hey,

Whats everyone think of the current state of music? Do you listen -- or do your friends listen to: Rock / hip hop /
Rap mainly? or?

Do you think Rock is dead, as Gene Simmons has stated?

What kind of live music is in your town mainly?

thanks

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • iking said:

Various styles of rock and metal. I live in Poznań, Poland :smiley:
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 10,876Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    I listen to Rock and Pop. I play in a steadily-working (weekends only) variety band, playing all kinds of dance music. I've been singing and playing more for the past ten years than I ever have in my life, and I've been in a lot of bands.

Gene Simmons has made a great career in Rock Music. Their crowds are probably not big as they once were, but just think about all the tons of people he has played for.

I remember when Kiss first came out, with their costumes and makeup. To me, at that time, I felt that Kiss was the end of "real music". To have to wear costumes and theatrical makeup every time you sing and play just seemed ridiculous to me. I had thought it was all about musicianship. Of course a lot of people thought Kiss was great, and it worked out well for them, so I respect them for being successful at the gimmick they came up with.

That form of theater has kind of slowly devolved into bands with the serial-murderer masks and gore themes. My, how "music" has changed. But these acts still fill large venues with very expensive ticket fees. It's just not my cup of tea.

No offense intended to Kiss or their fans. I was just more intrigued with bands that relied more on musicianship and vocal artistry than show. Kiss actually blazed many trails on showmanship, so props to them for accomplishing what they did.

Now when I hear Rap or Hip/Hop, I have about the same reaction to it as I did when Kiss came out. Lots of people like it. It's very monotonous and uninteresting to me. So was disco. Now it's good for a hoot.

Bob

• Whats everyone think of the current state of music? Do you listen -- or do your friends listen to: Rock / hip hop /
    Rap mainly? or?

I listen to rock music. I don't like pop, rap and/or hip hop very much.

Do you think Rock is dead, as Gene Simmons has stated?

It sure is undergoing a heavy change process, but I don't think it'll die.

Pop music.

• I feel that what remains of the traditional music industry only works for a select few artists' - for the rest of us it's become a case of niche markets, where most all artists' - of all genres of music - build their own respective fanbases, using the Internet, social media, and such, garnering a much smaller demographic than if they attained success under the oldschool music business model.
    So whilst rock is not compltely dead, sadly, it's not exactly the force that it once was.