Hey Dudes and Divas!

Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forum, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA forum - the rest of the forum is hidden from view.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Zhang Yu-sheng, hitting one of the highest notes (D#6) males could ever achieve in chest voice

AlvisAlvis Posts: 34Enrolled
Below are a few clips of Zhang Yu-sheng (1966-1997), a Taiwanese musician who has been my all-time favorite musician, rocker, singer, song-writer, and, above all, my mentor.

He was very talented as a song-writer and a singer, but he's mostly known for his ultra high notes, with purity and power at the same time.

It's a shame that he died young (at the age of 31).

Yue Qin: He starts to belt from 5:00 by the request of the hosts. (After hitting the last note, he tells the hosts that he used mixed voice to hit the very last note.)

">

Xiaobao Lianxiqu (HD) (this is a recording during his rehearsal at the studio, about 10 minutes long. This clip basically gives you an idea of how monstrous his voice was. (All of the songs he sings in the clip are his own creations)
(His singing starts at 2:50)

Zhang Yu Sheng (張雨生)'s High Notes (C5 - D#6)

Blow are some of my favorite songs wrote by Zhang (both lyrics and melodies)
Meigui de Mingzi (玫瑰的名字/The Name of the Rose) (HD)

Houzhi Houjue (後知後覺/When I realize it, it's too late) (HD)

He (河/The River) (HD)
What he does during 4:03-4:20 is simply monstrous...

Younggongjie De Jiezhang (永公街的街長/The Chief of the Younggong Street)
Though this piece is almost 10-minute long, I am sure you'll enjoy it all the way. Please note that the session after 8:14 wasn't sung by Zhang himself, but by a Taiwanese female singer called "馬毓芬")

Heaven On Fire - Metal Kids (HD) (With this song, Zhang and his bandmates won the first place in the first Rock&Roll band competition held by Yamaha in Taiwan.)
Metal Kids was the name of his band.

Zhang's TV appearance (he starts singing at 2:22-3:08; solo blues jam session 4:04-end])

TV appearance. The Phantom Of The Opera (HD) (6:40-8:20)

Below are some of his epic renditions of classic rock tunes. Hope you'll enjoy them as much as I do:

Paradise city-

Crying in the Rain-Whitesnake

Dream on- Aerosmith

Turn me loose- Loverboy

highway star

For those of you who want to dig more, you're welcome to check out one of my playlists where I collect his live performances and songs.
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPWnenIBKZyInwNSwjN83DhNPqgkiT6fW

Last but certainly not least, this is a thread on his voice in terms of his vocal range and other technical aspects (Ken's mentioned on the forum, too!).

therangeplace.forummotions.com/t2700-zhang-yu-sheng-new

Enjoy!

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Check my new post about Vitas, and you will hear a really high-pitched man. Also check on Mihai Traistariu.

I know Vitas. Granted, he's a very talented singer in his own right, but he uses a totally different skill than Zhang, though.
  • kvourtzoumiskvourtzoumis Posts: 11Member
    edited September 2016 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Check my new post about Vitas, and you will hear a really high-pitched man. Also check on Mihai Traistariu.
  • viniciusoliveiraviniciusoliveira Posts: 169Enrolled
    edited February 19 Vote Up0Vote Down
    > @Alvis said:
    > Check my new post about Vitas, and you will hear a really high-pitched man. Also check on Mihai Traistariu.
    >
    > I know Vitas. Granted, he's a very talented singer in his own right, but he uses a totally different skill than Zhang, though.

Vitas sound like a higher Ian Gillan if you ask me.
    Im a fan of Zhang as well,his timbre is overall what impresses me the most.
    No matter how high he went with mixed voice,it sounded really natural and very close to chest. I love this timbrality so bad. Even on xiong di ya he sounded way more natural than vitas. Thus I'd say Yu hit that D6 with either mixed or very timbral ,mixed-like head voice.
    His voice sound was always high if compared to usual tenors,which pleases me a lot.
  • AlvisAlvis Posts: 34Enrolled
    @viniciusoliveira Just out of curiosity, how did you know Zhang?
    I've just updated this post with more vids, some of which are his covers of classic rock tunes.

edited February 3 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @Alvis
    I watched a ``highest notes ever achieved`` video that featured Zhang`s D6 from xion di ya.

I happened to enjoy his very timbral high-pitched voice as well as most of his songs.

Im a huge fan of high voiced males and its great I found Zhang's master pieces.

His voice was very touching and had a lot of passion.
    No wonder why you love his vocals.

@Alvis
    I watched a ``highest notes ever achieved`` video that featured Zhang`s D6 from xion di ya.

I happened to enjoy his very timbral high-pitched voice as well as most of his songs.

Thanks for the reply!
    Do you still have link to the "highest notes ever achieved" video? I'd love to watch it :)

I am a huge fan of high tenors too. For now, Zhang and Miljenko Matijevic of Steelheart are my favorite vocalists in this regard, though Zhang could hit even higher notes than Milj and did sound more powerful.

Having said that, what's inspired me about him is not just his vocals, but what kind of person Zhang was. He was incredibly humble, gifted, and very ambitions indeed. He could've brought the rock&roll scene in Taiwan to the next level had he lived longer...

By the way, I hope you also liked the newer vids I posted here. His cover on Dream On is one of my favorites. He hit that note with such powerful mixed voice. Incredible indeed.

edited February 19 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Alvis said:

@Alvis

Thanks for the reply!
    Do you still have link to the "highest notes ever achieved" video? I'd love to watch it :)

I am a huge fan of high tenors too. For now, Zhang and Miljenko Matijevic of Steelheart are my favorite vocalists in this regard, though Zhang could hit even higher notes than Milj and did sound more powerful.

Having said that, what's inspired me about him is not just his vocals, but what kind of person Zhang was. He was incredibly humble, gifted, and very ambitions indeed. He could've brought the rock&roll scene in Taiwan to the next level had he lived longer...

By the way, I hope you also liked the newer vids I posted here. His cover on Dream On is one of my favorites. He hit that note with such powerful mixed voice. Incredible indeed.

Zheng appears on 7:25 and 10:27
    Unfortunely this video also has the lowest notes ever sung.
    I mistaked the video's title,my bad.

Those A#\A,G and G#5 from dream on sounded more like timbral head than mixed voice to me.
    Its impressing all the notes he achieved with timbral head sounded like mixed (the same way he did with that D6 from Xion di Ya).
    Before you explained his A5 from 月琴 was in mixed I though it was in chest :D

That huge amount of timbrality was his trademark,only a few people work that so hard on very high notes like he did.

Thats why his high notes are so pleasant to hear. Vitas Bumac sounds like a dolphin compared to him

Its great you like high tenors as well,though I was the only one in the forums to :)
    Here are some I'm into:
    Geddy Lee from 1974 untill 1979, Anthony Green from Circa Survive,Deyama Toshimitsu on his 1986 debult "Orgasm".

Aside from Green,them all went from high to medium tenors with time...

Zheng's death is one of the reasons I never drink alchool.
    So many died due to that... wish he didn't take those things.
    He most likely didn't smoke,though.
    Otherwise,his range wouldn't develeop as fast as it did.
    Seems like he always worked really hard on his singing,thats why his range and resonance kept growing endlessly.
    He must be a hero for most high tenors everywhere
    edited February 20 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @viniciusoliveira

It's OK. I enjoyed the low note session too. I think they're also great singers in their own right. I can't possibly hit those low notes myself...

About the 月琴 part, though zhang himself stated that he used mixed voice, some people say that was spot on chest voice, adding that zhang just didn't realize he hit that highest note in his chest register.

You mentioned that Zheng's death is one of the reasons you never drink alcohol, but to my knowledge as a somewhat die-heart fan of his, he didn't really drink. He said his favorite drink was coke.

More importantly, the cause of his automobile accident was due to his physical condition. He was so exhausted from work while driving (a sports car, no less), that he accidentally drove into a safety island in the middle of the road with high speed.

He passed away at the hospital a few days later...

It's definitely a good thing not to drink, at least for singers.

Thanks for sharing with me your list of tenors.

Geddy Lee had quite a range!

• Me neighter :D
    High tenors sound very different on the the beginning of the 3th and 2th octave. Its closer to their speakig than singing voices

Thats a mistery. Perharps he sang it with a mixed voice that was 90%chest and 10% head. Anyways the simple fact he sang an A5 in such a pleasant way is already a proof men can do so by working hard on it.
    Though singing that note with chest is hard even for Mezzos and Sopranos...

Why was him driving a sport car when weary?

Totally! Lee sang even higher live.
    Geddy was very underated 'cuz most people found his voice to be way too high n unsual.
    His range begun appeasing cuz he smoked,drinked,used drugs,did no physical exercises and dedicated way more to his bass playing than singing.

Anthony Green sings in that same vocal style, though he uses nothing but chest and his highest note is a F5.
    He usually sings in the 4th octave and I higly recommend him.