Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Greetings from Okinawa, Japan

erwinspinaerwinspina Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 44
Hello everyone,

This is Erwin from Okinawa, Japan. I've always had a love for music and a variety of it... from classic to soundtracks (my favorite being Hans Zimmer) then to bands from the 80s and 90s. My favorite has been U2 and a lot has to do with the lyrics.

At almost 50, I never expected someone I hardly knew to approach me and ask me to join his band -- and as a lead vocalist at that. I was blown away with the request with excitement but very nervous. On the first night of session, I'll never forget walking in to the studio. His band was ready and very welcoming. I thought I was pretty awesome singing to myself in the shower, in the car and at karaoke get togethers but when the band played my first request (With or Without You), I literally felt myself crumble to the floor. I realized at that moment I was really really terrible.

I expected not to be invited to sessions anymore, but the band must have seen something and welcomed me to join them so I did. We have practiced and practice many many times but the one thing I could never do was hit a high note. While it started a joke, it turned to stress. Then, the band politely told me that if I couldn't expand my voice ability, the songs to play would be limited. I was bummed.

I started searching local voice trainers but I could only find one on island and no one ever picked up the phone! So, I did internet searching and while I signed up for a few and tried a few on-line, I found myself digging for more of Ken Tamplin's youtube videos. And, as my band sessions continued and I saw no improvement in my singing, I took a chance in sending Ken a Facebook message but with doubts that I would get an answer. After all, I am on a small island way south of Japan.

I was wrong. Ken answered immediately and he gave me hope and I joined.

I look forward to staying in touch with everyone. Hopefully, I can be in the position where I not only "receive" advice but can "offer" advise as well.

Thank you for reading,
Erwin

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    Hi, Erwin, and welcome to the forums.

There is hope for your voice. If you are willing to follow Ken's instructions and do the work to build your voice, you will be expanding your range and giving your band more options on song choices. Your willingness to do the work is one of the main factors in what your results will be.

You have come to the right place.

All the Best!

Bob
  • erwinspinaerwinspina Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 44
    Thank you. I look forward to the improvement.