Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF
Options

Hi, I'm Harry

I think this is in the wrong location but when I select the drop down menu for 'Category', most of the options are unavailable, including the 'Introduce Yourself' option.
Anyway, here goes . . .

Hi, I am 54 and have been a working professional guitarist/saxophonist and chromatic harmonica player for most of my working life. My career has been a struggle because of my inability to sing. Bands passed me over for the guy who could play and sing. Solo gigs were almost impossible, except for some instrumental jazz gigs.
Now I am semi retired and I would like to sing. I have no delusions of fronting a band, lead singer, but I would like my guitar and I to be able to compete in the solo guitar gig market, i.e. Coffee houses, pubs, restaurants etc.

Here is my problem: I have rotten tone. I can sing in tune, I have very good intonation, I've made ear training a part of my practised routine for the past 30 years or so.

Confession time. I have never really practised singing. I guess I always believed that the basics needed to be in place if singing wasn't going to be an exercise in futility.

So, can an unpleasant tone be developed into a pleasant one?

The irony is that I know that tone can be developed on other instruments. I teach saxophone and no one comes to that instrument sounding like Stan Getz. That takes many hundreds of hours of tone development studies. Why I have difficulty applying the same logic to my voice I don't know.

I would really like to hear some transformation testimonies, if they exist. Can a Bob Dylan become a Tony Bennett? Or somewhere in between? What is possible? Or am I wasting my time?

Cheers, Harry

Comments

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    edited September 2016
    Harry,
    The deal is that Bob Dylan never wanted to become Tony Bennett, yet he found fame and fortune sounding the was he does. You, on the other hand, can change your tone. Ken shows you the ideal basic tone from which you can modify and alter. You need the "home base" from which to start, the foundation, so to speak. There are tons of fundamentals to learn about the voice, to give you stability and a reliant sound.

New members can't write posts until you have applied and been approved for the forums. You just found a way in through one of the doors that wasn't fastened.

:^)

Bob