Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Peak Diaphragm

What do people believe is the best test of one's diaphragmatic strength?? I've done the "time how long you can keep a tissue floating on the wall thing" but don't think it's the greatest test. Any ideas? ALSO, what is peak strength/power for singers? How long does it take and how do you know if you've reached it? Thanks.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Peak strength keeps expanding, so expect to still be improving years from now, if you start Ken's course. If you're not following the KTVA course, you may not be growing, or at least in the right direction.

About every 6 months, I notice things that have gradually grown in my vocal strength, range, tone... all facets of the voice.

You'll know when you have these things happening to you periodically. Notes that used to be unattainable, or notes that used to be strained suddenly, out of the blue, are easy compared to how they once were. You start liking the sound of your own voice. Your confidence is more like "I can" than "I'll try".

What would be more important than holding a tissue on the wall would be how long can you hold certain notes, including very soft high notes, and how stable are those notes as you sustain them?