Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

Is a slightly raspy voice bad when i sing high?

Hello all,
i came a long way with KTVA. just recently i got to volume 3 and am applying the mix voice to my vocal technique. So far my voice is projecting pretty well by my breath support. i also don't have tension on my neck anymore like i use to. However, i am noticing a slight rasp on my voice when i start singing higher (around my head voice modification). And when i sing music i tend to sound a little bit more raspy on the high parts well. At the end of my vocal exercises and singing, my talking voice becomes a little raspy as well. Its the feeling like you have to clear your throat and drink water. This is something new to me, ever since i started volume 3. Is there something wrong with my technique? Or is it just a sign of my vocals getting stronger (if that makes any sense).

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    @kingchristian,
    Try doing your Volume 3 workouts a little more lightly. You may be emphasizing the power part of Volume 3 a little too much, or possibly having a little bit too much fun trying out distortion.

It is important to clean up the vocals any time you use distortion. If your vocals are starting to sound distorted, you need to back off on the force and find that clean sound again. That may involve working out at very soft levels, until you can do distortion when you want to and clean vocals any time you want to.

Oversinging can cause your voice to become used to distorting.

Volume 3 includes instructions on how to cut back the air, and instructs you to start doing that "from now on". If you haven't yet taught yourself how to do that with the instructions Ken gives on how to do that, then you need to go back and rewatch that video, and practice that technique until it is working for you. When you do it right, your volume will be cut back significantly, and that will allow you to sing for hours on end without wearing out your voice.

This is an important item for you to master, and you must figure it out. It's actually very simple, but I kind of skipped past it in a rush to move on. I kept blowing out my voice, and then I realized that I had not done what Ken said to do in the beginning of Volume 3.

From now on means "From Now On".

Really. It will save your voice. Once you start using your voice that way, it will become stronger at that lower volume, and your voice will be stronger than ever, because you won't be oversinging anymore.

All the Best!

Bob
  • kingchristiankingchristian Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 24
    Oh wow man. thanks for sharing your experience and all that info to me now. i really appreciate it Bob!