Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Scratch sensation and dry throat

Hello everyone, Kurt here, I'm new to the forum and am a ktva user. I have a couple questions regarding some sensations I'm dealing with. First I notice sometimes not always whether I'm doing exercises or singing I get this scratching feeling/light pinch in the back of my throat. Even with very light singing. Just behind my tongue. what could this be from? Second I notice I deal with a very dry throat my voice seems very weak and airy. Typically I would think it would be from singing and using too much air, but it happens when I'm just talking and having conversation. Possibly not enough breathe support and speaking, singing directly from my throat? I'm also a smokeless tobacco user, could this play a roll?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Hi, Kurt.

Too much air in the voice will dry out the cords and make problems. Smokeless tobacco makes you spit, so that can contribute to dehydration.

The scratchy feeling is often the result of oversinging. If you irritate the cords, that feeling won't go away quickly, even if you then sing lightly after first getting that scratchy feeling.

Make sure you are using open throat techniques to avoid pinching down on the throat.