Home The Singer's Lobby

Harmonies

Hey, So I am currently working on a cover cd for my family for Christmas, and something ive struggled with especially over the last year while trying to learn it (long before I started with KTVA) is doing harmonies, its not so much the singing a different melody alongside another, or even blending, but where I find I struggle is finding the right notes for the harmony, Especially with minor chord progressions. I looked at one of Kens videos on youtube in regards to harmonies/blending, but I am still having problems. I have one song recorded and I have listened to it over and over, and while I sort of came up with a melody to add as a harmony, its far from perfect. I'm kind of looking for some suggestions on how to mentally prep for those notes so I dont have to pause recording, take the original vocals, do an arpeggio and then find a note that works. (as when I play on stage and am doing harmonies for one of the other band mates songs I definitely will not have time to do that. ) I looked at some other youtube videos but they tell you what to sing for the harmony to a 2 note keyboard tune. which really doesn't help me in a practical sense. Just looking for what other people do to sing harmony.

Thanks
Brandan

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    I normally sing a 3rd or a 5th above the melody. You don't have to do the exact melody at those intervals. You can hit the root note and stay there for a while, then do thirds or fifths. It's kind of up to you.

I tend to "hear" harmonies when someone is singing or a recording is playing. You can train your ear to hear those intervals, once you learn them.