Home Vocal Health and Wellness

Vocal Problems.

Hey guys and girls for the last month i have had a really bad cold. It all started the last night of our regional tour, our heaters in our RV quit while we where sleeping and the temp outside was below freezing. I have no idea how long i was sleeping in the cold but I woke up and I could feel that i was on my way to getting sick, and my throat felt sore. I sang on the sore throat, and it did feel like i over sang (monitor mix was bad)

After the show we where heading back home and i started to loss my voice. I lost my voice for about 2 weeks. During that time i was coughing like a mad man, with congestion, and hacking up phlegm. With in that 2 weeks i did not do my vocal warm ups. on week 3 i started to do them again. I have been doing the warm ups for the past 7 days, tho it has gotten better i still go into a vocal fri In my upper mid voice and head voice when i start to pull my chest voice up. singing in my head voice only there are no problems of vocal fri

Is this because i need to build that muscle back, Or because i still have nasal drippage which is Irritating the vocal chords, Or i am not singing right? or is it all three? If there is another reason or have advise as to what i should do please let me know. I need to get my voice back to where is was because it pays the bills.

Thank you!

Dakota Malinowski

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    edited December 2016
    Hi, Dakota!

Once you put your voice through a setback like that, it can take a while to recover. If you oversang after waking up in a frozen RV, and then went into hacking and phlegm, you are really in a cycle of vocal abuse. Coughing scrapes the vocal cords against one another repeatedly and harshly. You need help from a doctor to get your coughing minimized and under control, as well as breaking up the phlegm.

The passaggio is the weak point in the voice and the first thing to lose control over when our voices suffer from oversinging or illness.

Practice lightly singing through the passaggio. Not lingering there, but moving through going upward and downward in pitch, lightly. You have to rehabilitate that part of your cords, and it can take a while, but forcing it won't work and will make it worse.

Watch Ken's YouTube video on mucus, and see if you can get ahold of one of those facial steamers and perhaps some of the remedies he talks about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Szi078Nx6h8&t=34s

DO see a doctor and get some help in minimizing your illness. Your body has to get well, in order for your voice to recover, and the voice may lag behind a bit.

Get well soon!

Bob
  • DakotaMalinowskiDakotaMalinowski Member Posts: 10
    Thank you so much for this. I had gone into the doctors got things under control with coughing. I will contain to do the vocal warm ups lightly until I heal. I Am ordering the book ken talks about and must of home remedies I will keep posted.
  • DakotaMalinowskiDakotaMalinowski Member Posts: 10
    Voice is almost 100% back. Thank you for the help!
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Awesome, Dakota! Great to hear!