Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Baker street etc

MattoMatto Posts: 5Member
Hi guys, really nice to be hear, the first vocal course held by someone who sounds good that I've found :) I've been trying to understand all the lingo and explanations of techniques for several years, but honestly, its all a confusing mess. I would love to hear some helpful critique of my tone and technique; also, with regards to all this mystical stuff about head/chest/mix, it would be interesting to hear where I am in all that. The first bit is me not remembering the lyrics (sorry) and the second is me reading the lyrics straight off (sorry) and a bit pitchy etc, so theyre not serious pieces, just examples of my voice.

https://sendvid.com/urt7nrl1

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Posts: 11,541Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    Hi, @Matto.

Your voice sounds pretty good. You have kind of a rounded tone, but that's not necessarily bad. We tend to encourage a brighter tone here. It's easier to discern correct pitch, and also tends to resonate better. You have a pleasant vibrato, and your pitch is fine. You do deviate from the original melodies some, but there's no problem with that.

You seem to be singing most of this with a mix that is neither head dominant nor chest dominant. It's just right there in the middle. A lot of people struggle to get there.

All the Best!

Bob
  • MattoMatto Posts: 5Member
    edited December 2016
    Thanks a lot for that. Yes, I think you're on to something about me needing to brighten my tone. I only seem to get that a little bit when I sing louder or "angrier". About deviating from the tunes, since I was brought up by a be-bop jazz musician, that was about as straight, non ad-lib as I'm psychologically able to accomplish :) (don't really know the tunes and Baker street is a little low for me).

Very interesting to hear that Im in the middle of mixed voice, thanks. I think I now understand the concepts better. Would it be safe to say that the more I experience a resonation at the root of my nose, the more Im leaning into head voice?
  • MattoMatto Posts: 5Member
    edited December 2016