Home Favorite Music, Vocal Movies, and Videos

Trying to sing Man in the box by Alice in Chains

I'm trying to sing this song with the clean voice, but I still can't perform it very well, especially in the chorus("feeeeieieieied my eeeeyes"), and I'm looking for some tips/vocal exercises or anything to successfully sing this song. And I would also like to know if it would take too long to learn how to sing this song (I want to sing it in the school next year :p ).
P.s: Sorry for any english errors.

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Hi, CaioLuan!

If you want to sing it in the distorted-voice style of Layne Staley, you can hurt your voice unless you have trained it in safe methods of distortion. That takes a while. Ken Tamplin's course does train you to sing with distortion in a safe manner, if you follow his instructions. But first you have to learn the basics that he teaches, before you can apply those techniques to distortion. That can't be answered in a forums post. You have to work the program and learn the techniques. Then, when you're ready, you get to advance to the section that teaches how to distort without wearing out your voice.

All the Best!

Bob
  • CaioLuanCaioLuan Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for answering!

Well, I don´t really want to sing in the "distorted-voice style of Layne Staley", I just want to sing the song with a clean voice, But I'm having trouble with the chorus. I'll give a try and look for the basics lessons this time.

Thanks again!
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    You know that Ken has a tutorial on that song, right? He's teaching Gabriella Guncikova how to sing it. But it does include singing with distortion, so it probably is something you're not ready for at this time, in that style.

Also, that song has some lyrics in it that aren't suitable for a classroom situation, unless you alter them a bit, like Ken does.
    Yeah I watched the video but it didnt helped very much,
    It seems that there is still a lot to learn before.

And I know, but most part of my school don't understant the english language so...I guess there is no problem, but I can change if necessary. *laughs*
  • TommyMTommyM Pro Posts: 270
    Hi Caio,

"Man In The Box" can be a tough song to sing but, as Bob said, avoid the distortion until you're more experienced and just work on accessing that note. Obviously you've already said you want to sing it in a clean voice, so I'd suggest working on your support and making sure you have enough breath to sustain the note.

Don't strain for the note either, it feels a bit back-to-front but it's more like releasing the note and allowing your voice to soar. Listen to the way Layne Staley sings it: You can hear the way he manipulates the vowel sounds to access the note more smoothly.

Try relaxing into it rather than straining, it's surprising how effortless that note can feel when you do it properly. See if you can access the note more quietly and consistently before trying to belt it out. You'll save yourself a lot of hassle and possible damage.

Remember too, while Staley is one of my favourite singers, some of the ways he used his voice basically messed him up in the long-term. This is why courses like Ken's are so wonderful: You learn how to create those classic, 'rock voice'-style sounds with your own instrument, your own signature sound and in a healthy, tried and tested way.
    Thank you guys so much!