Home INTRODUCE YOURSELF

Used to Hit Boston and Journey high notes...

Hi Everyone,

My name is Fred and I'm in my 50's. When I was in my 20's and 30's I could easily hit the same notes sung by Bradley Delp, Steve Perry, Steve Walsh, and others from that period of time. In fact, I've spent a good deal of my life singing. I've sung as a kid in choruses and musicals. I've been in bands and was lead singer for a time as well. I play the drums so I've also sung back up vocals in various venues.

I'd like to believe I can get my singing back at least to some extent the way it was not that many years ago. For some reason, my high notes evaporated and with it, even my falsetto a number of years ago. Pretty weird.

I have very little high range in my "head" voice like I used to have.

I'm checking this place out to see what I can learn. I'm hoping that Ken's techniques will help me get there.

Thanks for reading. I'm thinking of starting with the Weekend Warrior set before I might tackle his his other programs.

Any suggestions for anyone?

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Hi, @FredD.

I'm not sure what happened to your voice, unless it just atrophied, but I believe you can get your notes back and more. It may be that the method (even if you were just a "natural") wasn't good for the long run. But regardless, I know from personal experience, that you can sing better than you ever have beyond your present age.

I was probably about your present age when I first decided that, as a life-long drummer and being no better than a self-taught background singer, that I was ready to learn to be a lead singer.

Fast forward. I spent a small fortune, and lost some precious years on giving several famous vocal courses my all. I thought I was getting somewhere, but after almost 3 years in the most famous course on the market, other years lost on other programs as well, and practicing a TON, I realized that I was in fact getting nowhere.

Then I found Ken's program. It was more expensive back then. Almost twice what you can get it for now. I knew it was what I wanted, but was "gun-shy" after spending so much on other programs, that I waited a whole year. I felt that I "couldn't afford" Ken's program, especially if it turned out to be a sham like the other courses I had paid for.

I finally bit the bullet and bought Ken's program. It was obvious to me when I started working it, that it was different. The results were different, and my voice started sounding different. My voice started growing. I was no richer financially, after waiting. I was just a year older. But Vocally, I felt like a Millionaire! I could kick myself for losing that year of progress.

My voice is still growing, and I've been in Ken's program for several years now. I couldn't be happier that I bought his program, and knowing what I know now about it, I would have gladly paid whatever it cost to get me to where I am now. ANY PRICE. The difference in the other courses and KTVA is ridiculous. KTVA is the only one that worked. The others were gimmicks.

The public areas of the forums are more general. The nitty-gritty details of the KTVA techniqes, with detailed explanations, are in the student areas of the forums.

Weekend Warrior is a starter program and does not include access to the student areas of the forums, but it will give you a chance to try some of the exercises and see if you can get some of the cobwebs off of your vocal cords.

Welcome to the forums!

Nice to meet you!

Bob
  • FredDFredD Member Posts: 4
    Hi Bob,

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond to my post. I appreciate it.

I will certainly hang around and learn what I can learn. I also may just jump in with one of Ken's full programs too.

It's pretty frustrating to know what I was able to do fairly effortlessly and compare that to the limits on my voice today.

Thanks again...and it's nice to meet you as well.

Fred
  • nmartineznmartinez Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 102
    @FredD welcome! My opinion is, if you truly want that voice back and more, jump on in. Like@highmtn I waited a long time for financial reasons...I wish I didn't. KTVA really grows the voice. It's work, but KTVA works.
  • TommyMTommyM Pro Posts: 270
    Hiya Fred,

I'd experienced similar prior to getting back into singing full-time. Five years ago, I could match Chris Cornell note-for-note...but with unfortunate personal circumstances and zero practice for such a long time, I struggled to even access my head voice again.

Although I haven't bought Ken's course yet, I can definitely say that even his shorter videos on YouTube and the tips he gives will help you to gain some ground. Go back to basics and approach it like a new singer 'cause, like me, it's probable that you picked up some bad techniques in the past and have 'normalised' them, so to speak.

From what I've learned through Ken's videos so far, my honest, objective opinion is that he's the real deal and knows what he's talking about. The basics that I've seen through his videos have helped me enormously, so I'm pretty sure that his courses would be the way forward.

All the best and good luck in your practice!
  • bentkbentk Moderator, Pro, 2.0 PRO, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 1,650
    Thanks for sharing. Inspirational posts!

@TommyM, Ken is indeed the real deal, his programme works tremendously well when you put in the time and keep focusing on technique. I am currently in VOL 2 and not only have i learned so much, singing just becomes easier and more natural in time when you learn the pillars of the KTVA vocal programme.

Good luck to all of you!
  • FredDFredD Member Posts: 4
    Thx for the comments and feedback, folks. Much appreciated.