Hey Dudes and Divas!

Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forum, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA forum - the rest of the forum is hidden from view.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

2017 is here! Welcome to KTVA

tinaalcoracetinaalcorace Posts: 127Moderator, Pro
Hello Vocalists and aspiring entertainers!

Happy new year to all, 2017 is here and its going to be bigger and better. I am personally not big on new years resolutions but do believe you should always set yourself goals throughout the year, assisting in the bigger dream and vision you have.

So, please share below your goals for the year, whether it's in health, voice, or lifestyle!

Rise above and love,
Tina
www.mystofficial.com

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • tinaalcoracetinaalcorace Posts: 127Moderator, Pro
    Artickus said:

Hello. Happy new year to everyone!

My goals for this year are so simple and straightfoward:

1. Master the Voice.
    2. Walk on the path of the Voice.
    3. Becoming a Monster Vocalist.
    4. Never stop, never back down - work on the voice.
    5. Earning a name for my band.

Nothing less and maybe just a bit more :)

Cheers! \m/_\m/

They are awesome goals @Artickus .A growth mindset is a healthy mindset. Mastering the voice takes years to achieve and is achieved through steps 2-4. Keep at it, keep striving and look after your vocal health and health overall in the process

Good singing to you!

Rise above and love
    Tina
    www.mystofficial.com
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 9,480Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    One of my goals is to hear more MysT performances!
    highmtn said:

One of my goals is to hear more MysT performances!

haha! Me too! :) Its all in the cards
  • Hello. Happy new year to everyone!

My goals for this year are so simple and straightfoward:

1. Master the Voice.
    2. Walk on the path of the Voice.
    3. Becoming a Monster Vocalist.
    4. Never stop, never back down - work on the voice.
    5. Earning a name for my band.

Nothing less and maybe just a bit more :)

Cheers! \m/_\m/
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 611Moderator, Pro
    I started to get paid gigs as a singer last year (2016) which is something I never thought possible. Id obviously like to continue that trend. On a technical level, continue to balance the registers, strength train the registers and gain continued ease of use. I've found Vibrato, Resonance and tuning is a direct result of proper breath support... I guess all vocal technique is now I think about it. I guess I'll just continue to grow.
    I'd like to find my Axl/Brian Johnston/Steve Tyler sound this year. I've dabbled but keep going back to a Paul Rodgers type distortion as that one seems to be more natural for me... Nothing wrong with that but ideally I'd like to do both. I'd also like to get a real handle on 3-4 Sam Cooke tunes and some older Soul and RNB repertoire. I found a guy on YouTube called Joe Retta and saw what was possible with regards to diversity. Frightening talent.
    streeter said:

I started to get paid gigs as a singer last year (2016) which is something I never thought possible. Id obviously like to continue that trend. On a technical level, continue to balance the registers, strength train the registers and gain continued ease of use. I've found Vibrato, Resonance and tuning is a direct result of proper breath support... I guess all vocal technique is now I think about it. I guess I'll just continue to grow.

I'd like to find my Axl/Brian Johnston/Steve Tyler sound this year. I've dabbled but keep going back to a Paul Rodgers type distortion as that one seems to be more natural for me... Nothing wrong with that but ideally I'd like to do both. I'd also like to get a real handle on 3-4 Sam Cooke tunes and some older Soul and RNB repertoire. I found a guy on YouTube called Joe Retta and saw what was possible with regards to diversity. Frightening talent.

That is great to hear @streeter . What I notice the most about your post is this idea of forward thinking or a growth mindset. In order to be the best vocalist you can be you must explore, discover and challenge yourself. I personally find that particular genres of music have stylistic features that make it identifiable to a listener. For example, if you were given a vocal line with no music, what factors of the voice would allow you to categorize the genre as rock, pop, soul, funk, punk, folk, country etc. That is why it is very important to push your boundaries, explore new horizons and be open to learning from a variety of styles. Just a suggestion I found useful when wanting to develop my vocal technique, library and skill.

Good singing to you!

Rise above and love
    Tina
    www.mystofficial.com
  • streeterstreeter Posts: 611Moderator, Pro

streeter said:

That is great to hear @streeter . What I notice the most about your post is this idea of forward thinking or a growth mindset. In order to be the best vocalist you can be you must explore, discover and challenge yourself. I personally find that particular genres of music have stylistic features that make it identifiable to a listener. For example, if you were given a vocal line with no music, what factors of the voice would allow you to categorize the genre as rock, pop, soul, funk, punk, folk, country etc. That is why it is very important to push your boundaries, explore new horizons and be open to learning from a variety of styles. Just a suggestion I found useful when wanting to develop my vocal technique, library and skill.

Good singing to you!

Rise above and love
    Tina
    www.mystofficial.com
    Yes, very much so. I have also found it's also very valuable finding out the history and roots behind whatever artist is currently inspiring us. Finding out their influences, who's licks and melodies they listened to over and over again. Hence, Sam Cooke seemingly being the common thread of 90 percent of my favourite singers.

• Hello Tina, my name is Tina and my step dad and step Brother named Ken. Could we be related? lol.
    Oh, back to what I was saying. My goals are to stick with my goals, and that can be tough sometimes, when I want to get lazy. If I do my goals, than I will get done want I want to accomplish. All my goals are on my list that I work on daily.
    Thanks for asking, great question
    Tina