Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum

How Do I Make Low Pitches Sound Good?

Hey everyone,

I'm noticing when I'm recording music, when I sing where I need to stretch a little bit and push a little bit I sound my best, but when I sing low it sounds a bit lack luster. Easy example is when I sing O Praise Him I pushed to get the top notes, but when I did Oceans by Hillsong I sang an octave lower than the main singer (or around there I put the capo as high as I could to turn up the pitch), it just sounded boring.

So, what are ways I can improve the sound of my lower pitches both in actual singing, but perhaps also in how one records vocals with a mic or DAWs (I use Studio One).

Sincerely,
Michael

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    It seems counterintuitive, but you should use a bright sound when you sing low. A bassy sound will tend to sound flat and is more prone to going out of pitch.

Also, you need to have good, solid support for low notes. You will be using a bigger stream of air for lower notes, and it can be hard to keep that stream steady and consistent. If it's not consistent, the note will wobble or go off-pitch.
  • MwightMwight Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 52
    Huh, that was an easy fix. Thanks again for the help. xD
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354