Home VOCAL DEMONSTRATIONS for the Bold!

Georgy Porgy - Toto (Acoustic Cover) - Does it sound like I am straining to sing the high notes?

ermanozermanoz Pro Posts: 10
Dears,

I will be thankful for your constructive feedbacks! It is an amateur home studio recording, and my first recording experience :)

https://www.dropbox.com/home?preview=Georgy+Porgy+-+Toto+-+Acoustic+Cover+Erman+Özhan.mp3

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
Erman

Comments

• stratmanstratman Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 364
    I can't access your MP3. Seems like it's a link for you when logged in. Can you share the public link? Also, I switched from Dropbox to SoundCloud and YouTube as they are more readily accessible to people that read the forum on portable devices.
  • ermanozermanoz Pro Posts: 10
    Hi Stratman,

Thank you for the hint ;) Here is the SoundCloud link. Hope it works now. I am looking forward to your feedback! :)

Cheers!
    Erman
  • ArtickusArtickus 2.0 PRO Posts: 66
    edited January 2017
    Hello, @ermanoz
    Yes, it seems you pull to much tension with you to high notes for your current range, most suqezed notes you putting like on chest, but your chest voice is not yet well strached for that, and also the porblem might be with openness, but on 1-43-44 you roll good into your head fully and there is no restain heard for me. But on 2-22 2-23 on "Seee" you trying to make that mix of head chest voice and pulling to much chest there and just choke on it, and aslo I hear a bunch of voice cracks, mostly when you come down form a high note, maybe cause you restained the chords and they spasm back when you come back from it, like release tension on low notes. 2-43 on that point it feels really hard and not natural way, I'm mostly sure that is not rly good for your voice.
    But that's from me. Maybe Bob, will come up and have more proffesional advice for you.
    From my point of view you have to work on the bridge and passageway for this song and stretch your chest voice to build an upper-mid section, develop that connection, voice crack ammount too big for my point of view.
    I like your voice and this song seems on good level, if we set aside that hard restrain on some parts.
    Cheers, Artem.
    edited January 2017
    Thank you so much Artickus for your valuable feedback! :)
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    @ermanoz,

You don't sound like you're straining to hit the notes, but you aren't singing them with the same stylistic sound that is used by Toto, if that's what you want. Your notes above about E4 are sung in a harder chest sound, while in the Toto versions, it's more of a laid-back blend. They actually use less cord closure and a bit of air, less force with the sound.

You're doing a good job of singing the notes well, but if you want that softer sound you'll have to approach the notes with a little more rounded sound.

You're doing fine on the lower range, and your style is similar. When you go above E4, to get the easier sound, you'll have to hold the pressure back, yet soften it with some air. Not much, but you don't want the volume and edge to increase as much as you are at E4 and above. Try to balance the volume and softness more between the lower register notes and the higher register notes.

Your pitch is really good on this. See if you can use support and even (non-distortion) glottal compression to cut back the volume on the higher parts. Go for a little softer approach.

Nice job.

Bob
    @highmtn

Thank you so much Bob!! :smile: I am going to work on the points you mentioned.

Cheers!
    Erman
  • KaiEllisKaiEllis Pro, 2.0 PRO Posts: 215
    @ermanoz Bro I love this. If I was out at a bar with friends and you were onstage singing, I'd be nodding and telling my friends "Yo this guy is pretty damn good!"

Agree with Bob that a little softer, rounder sound would make it even better.
    @KaiEllis Thank you so much, man! :smile: