Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Can I learn to sing without lessons from Kens Singing Course?

donnabrightdonnabright Posts: 104Pro
Can I learn to sing without lessons from Kens Singing Course? Because right now.. I do not have money for singing lessons. I hope I posted this in the right spot. I always get confused in forums where to post. Thanks

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 10,887Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    You don't ncessarily need private lessons, but taking his full course is a really good idea. You are doing the Weekend Warrior course, and it will teach you some good basic fundamentals of singing.

If you master the lessons in Weekend Warrior, you will have a good basis to continue learning later, if you choose to do so.

Private lessons from Ken are a great option, but many of us here rely on doing the course at home, getting feedback occasionally on the forums, and doing our homework every day.

Progress takes time. You have to be steadfast, practice regularly, and monitor yourself by recording and listening. You have a responsibility to do your part, in practicing, following instructions, and monitoring yourself to keep moving forward.

It can seem like a lot to do, but if you have a desire to sing, and your voice needs work, then you have to decide if you're willing to do the work to get there. It involves a lot of training, if you don't yet have the skills.

Almost nobody arrived here sounding like they wanted to, or they would never have come here in the first place. Some take to singing like a duck takes to water. The rest of us have to work for it. For some it is a struggle.

We all start wherever we start. We all end up wherever we are able to take it to. You are a unique individual and fall somewhere on that scale. You have to decide if you want to take this journey or stay where you are now.

I say why not try?

You want it, right?

All the Best!

Bob
  • I will keep practicing regularly, and monitor myself by recording and listening. I will do my part, in practicing, following instructions, and monitoring myself to keep moving forward. I practice a lot anyway.

Also after the breathing exercises my tummy hurts. lol. This reminds me when I started in Yoga, a lot of me hurt. Than I got used to it ya know. You are right I am unique? How ya know. lol. Did I give myself away, prob did. Yes, I want it. I been singing since I was a baby and I am in my middle 40's. So ya I want it. Now give it to me. lol

Also I did another video of me singing the LAh,.you might want to turn up the volume could be a little low. I am not sure on that.

Me singing Lah lighter..Does this sound Better or worse? I am singing along to Ken this time. But I am singing much lighter and softer. Should I keep singing like this, until I can add more power?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5WcJh_RPpiQ&feature=youtu.be
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 10,887Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    This is closer. This time you're getting the first notes of each scale closer to Ken, but the middle top notes are all too low. So that middle top note should be the same note, but one octave higher, than the start note of each scale.

So it sounds better. Still need to figure out how to get the top note right. It's a stretch. Keep working it at this level. Find that top note.