Singing Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy
Hey Dudes and Divas!

Welcome to Singer Forum by Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy. Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forums, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA singing forum. Register to learn more.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

Singing, back at it after 7 odd years, happy to be here!

I sang in choir as a kid and loved it, until puberty hit and I lost my voice. I played guitar in my teens but little else with music until my 20s when I simply felt the compulsion to get back into singing. 

After getting into it, then teaching myself to play and sing, something I thought impossible before forcing myself, I opened a new door. Realizing I had the chance to make something more with my talent. Seeking out a music teacher to help learn to sing and play/writing songs better. Then learn how to use rasp my voice got powerful, and I was making good headway with things. I sang covers on YouTube, and was pushing to sing like one of my idols, David from Disturbed. 

After my living situation changed, going for a house to an apt, I couldn't sing any more, not the way I enjoyed. I abandoned my YouTube and songwriting. I still liked to sing in the car, not the best form I know, but it was all I had. When I saw my passion in it dying, I jumped into joining a metal band to sing. I had fun, and got to break away from the simple way I was songwriting with my vocals, but there was definitely stained. We never got past jamming at a studio spot we had, and after a year and a half I gave it up, not willing to see I through and losing my passion for it again.

Another 5 years went by, still in an apt, without music. I considered taking singing lessons again, but it was too costly. This past fall I moved into my first detached home with my wife, and I was looking forward to getting back into singing, finally having the space and chance to do it whenever I wanted again. Took time to get settled and make space for my music recording and belted out some tunes. I had always covered songs matching artists in the past, outside of my songwriting, and I felt that this time around I would instead make covers my way. Change notes on the guitar and based off cords (I'm a melody player mainly), and then experiment with how I can sing it for my vocals. 

Finishing my first, and starting on some new ones, I can tell how rusty my voice has gotten through years of rest. I was trying to ease back into it, but I had forgotten much. Still, I told myself once I have a house, I have no excuse not to give this my all again. I got the idea to set up a new YouTube channel and planning out how I'll record and push songs to it. Just last weekend I came across Anthony Vincent's Ten Second Songs and was floored at how talented he was. From my efforts, I knew it was possible to sing more artist than I thought my voice was 'built' for, but Anthony's use of voice (and presentation) was inspiring! As I continued watching, I came across one of his videos featuring Ken and Gabrielaa learning about KTVA.

After seeing/hearing the skill, I knew this was someone who I could learn from, to learn what I needed to sing the heavy way I've always enjoyed and do it safely. The proof is truly in the singing, and I was very fortunate that KTVA is so affordable! Having the new house, cost is still a big consideration for me, but the full pro package is a third what 10 lessons would've cost me with a local coach. And it offers hours of lessons and exercises I can go back over as much as I want. Also, that it offered this forum to connect with other students... I thought about it whether to pick it up for a whole 10 seconds. :wink:

I'm at day 3 now of KTVA Vol. 1, and will work my way through the whole course. I was happy to unlearn what I had learned because I developed bad habits along the way. From the singing I've done the past month (30-60min bouts, finishing with light strain), to 30 minutes of the exercises feeling like I ran a marathon but no strain day 1, I was ecstatic! I'm planning to spend 5 days a week (mon-fri) working on the exercises and re-watching the videos, with having a day on the weekend to do singing while I experiment on covers. I am recording all of my sessions for personal reflection to see when/where I may fail to follow what Ken recommends, and to have proof of my progress day to day. 

I want to make a real go of it and share my work with others and hopefully help inspire and let others know about Ken's great work for those wanting to sing their best. I look forward to contributing with others here on the forum and meet some folks striving as I am.

The only messaging I think could be posed differently around the course, is 'Sing better than anyone else' is a moot point. Everyone sings their own way, even if they sound similar to someone else, it's a personal thing to find your voice and use it your way. I vote for 'Sing better than you ever dreamed possible, because you can!'. :smiley:

Take care,
Sean

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Posts: 11,314Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    Nice post, Sean. Looking forward to the amazing progress that awaits you with your great attitude towards improving. Your work ethic towards your musical goals will carry you a long ways, with the methods that Ken's program teaches.

You're gonna Rock!

Bob
  • seanjhseanjh Posts: 7Pro
    Thank you @highmtn. Slowly but surely. I've read some of your feedback to others, and you knowledge of singing and the program is extensive. Very happy to see! :) Take care