Hey Dudes and Divas!

Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forum, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA forum - the rest of the forum is hidden from view.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

ME singing Old MacDonald had A Farm

ME singing Old MacDonald had A Farm, Karaoke I am a beginner, so I start with kids songs..I am trying to train my ear. This is not an easy song to sing, because it is fast. I have to watch my breath.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=oXKIohdpCDs&feature=youtu.be

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 9,697Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    Thanks for posting that as unlisted. Ken's exercises are copyrighted material, and he won't allow his whole program to be posted on YouTube.

This scale is in many of his YouTube Videos.

I made comments in the other post you made where you stayed on the one scale. You need to follow those instructions I gave you there before trying to do a progressive scale like this. Let's get you singing one note at a time right, and then do one scale right. From there we can go to a progressive scale exercise.

You will probably need to keep that program beyond the free trial, but that's up to you. You might find a similar one, as well, but I think you're benefitting from using it to help you see when you are on and when you are not on the correct pitch. You have to slow everything down to give the program time to display the information and to give your voice time to make corrections, but it will teach you to sing on-pitch if you work at it long enough.

Keep working with it while it's still free, and let's see how you do.
    This is actually pretty good. There is one part that happens over and over that you need to fix. The first "E-I" when it goes E-I, E-I, Oh. Each time that one is higher than you are singing. If you get that one right, each time it comes around, then you'll be close to nailing this one.

If you have access to a piano, even one on a computer, you'll see that that chorus goes like this.

F F F C D D C A A G G F
    Old mac don ald Had a Farm E - I, E - I, Oh

It's the A A G G F part that you need to be able to hit. It's a little high for you, but I think you can do it. You just need to be sure of the right note/pitch.

See if you can practice that. E - I, E -I, Oh on A, A, G, G, F

You might try a free 30 day trial of Sing and See.

It's a program that shows you what note you are singing, and if you are flat or sharp.
    There are other similar programs that you can download for free trials.

Use it to play the virtual piano and play A, A, G, G, F and try to match those notes with your voice (on E - I, E - I, Oh) if you sing into your microphone plugged into your computer while the program is in record mode, you will see how close you actually are to AAGGF.

This might help you to match pitches.

Good job. See if you can get the right high notes on that part.

Bob
  • I know of a place to play Virtual piano online, yes. It also shows the notes being played on the piano, as well. I think that site is still up, let me check. Well now I found other virtual pianos. Cool. I record and play back to you and see what you think. but it will be one key at a time, since I do not play piano well. But you will be able to tell with the notes I play. I will try sing and see to, thanks, will check out, thanks for all yer help.
  • donnabrightdonnabright Posts: 92Pro
    edited January 15 Vote Up0Vote Down
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=jHzElNMGz2I&feature=youtu.be
    Me singing LAH using Sing and SEE..I did a desk top capture side by side from Ken to me singing. This is a great program. I have to buy next month after 30 days, Thanks.
  • I read your other message, and yes I practice on the A2 and A3, notes for awhile and then practiced on the D3 and on the F3. I did one note at a time, over and over.
    I am having problems keeping the A2 note stable. I can hit it but it keeps going back and forth to A3. What I see is A2 and A3 over and over. How do I keep the pitch stable on ah on A2? My pitch is not stable. How do I correct that?

I am going to buy the program, next month before it expires, because I need something to train my ear. I have for 29 more days, than I will buy. I think it is only 49 dollars, which is not bad for ear training.

I also learned some more things on how to get the notes on the WW DVD, and ya know what I am talking about. I just do not want to give it away. But this is also helping, now that I hear and figure it out. I was like, oh, say. yea!

Thanks for all your help. I do not mind paying if need be. I know this is really going to help me get my ear in tune and start hitting the higher notes.
    Thanks,
    Tina
    Good. I'm glad this is getting you started in the right direction. Take your time. If you learn one good thing every day, it will begin to add up, over time.

It's a bit like learning to walk. We start out crawling, then we wobble around and need help. Then we take our first step... And then we start stepping more...