Home About Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy

Voice breaking on mid range...

Hi everyone, I really need a help on how do i can fix my voice break when I sing on mid range note. Especially when I drop from my head voice to my chess voice. I've been practice this for 2 weeks but I totally didn't get a clue at all on how to control it...hmm...sorry for my english...

Regards,

Ryan_FusionV

Comments

• highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Bring the volume down very low and do a descending scale. Repeat, and if you still break, bring the volume down even lower.
  • shahrizanshahrizan Member Posts: 13
    Sorry for a late reply and thanks a lot for the guidance. Just read your comment. Will do practice according to your tips this week. I'll be back to give you a feedback how it goes ya... :)
    @highmtn ... I've tried reducing my volume but my voice still cracked when I singing with vowel "Uuhh" right on the pissagio area. What should I do?? Almost give up
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354
    Can you post a demonstration that shows the problem you are trying to describe?
    Hi @highmtn

Please refer the link here below
    http://www.smule.com/p/477642813_1035999518

I have a problem to sing clear and sharp on the "I still loving (you...)" part. If I push with volume it become distort but if I lower down volume it will break...

Please do also comment and guide me in overall of my singing. I have no Vocal teacher. Just simple follow the guidance from YouTube and Ken advise. I'm not sure if I sang in the healthy way or actually it is totally wrong manner. Please correct me. Thanks a lot!
    Overall, your voice sounds pretty good. The "still loving you" portion needs better breath support. It's also in an area where your voice is unsure if you need to be in chest voice or head voice. The Ooh vowel of "you" is a tough vowel to sing in the first place.

I'd like to hear you singing a simple scale through this range so we can get past all of the consonants and different vowels, and see what your voice does in that range on an AH vowel. Still Loving You has so many moving parts, it's hard to find a place to start. Ken has many videos where he demonstrates a simple Lah scale.

If you do that, I can listen to what's happening with your voice without all the distractions and moving targets.
    Certainly will do it sir. I've been over singing these few days. Will do it once my voice recover
    Dear @highmtn , hopes you are doing well...

I'm sorry to ask a question again. I just trying to understand more details on Belting vs Mixed Voice techniques...

Please refer to this link of the guy singing...
    http://www.smule.com/p/490986149_846735663

May I know, did he sang in his chest voice belting or actually other kind of technique? I listened to his other song he sang a song with very high note but the voice sound of him remain chesty. Sometimes I feel like he sang in Falsetto with chesty or perhaps Head Voice with chesty sound. If there is a transition from chess to mixed then to head voice, the transition is superb smooth and remain with chesty and less distortion. I truly didn't get the concept and confuse if I actually sing in right manner or just totally wrong....
    Especially on his uhh vowel. It just so smooth and soft even he had rock voice kind of genre. He sang high note with a very smooth transition, chesty, energetic and consistent throughout the whole song. I feel like he sang in his falsetto or head voice with chesty sound all the way....I just dont get it. I didn't meant I wanna be singing like his voice. What amaze me is the transition vowel and stamina it just super smooth. I doubt if I would ever be a singer like him or Mr. Ken if look at the quality of my singing now...

My voice have yet recover fully. I would do the scale as you ask me to do as soon as my voice ready. Meantime, please give me your comment for above. Thank you for your endless support.

Regards

Shahrizan
    edited February 2017
    Hi @highmtn

I think I've got an idea already!! Hehehe :D

After repeating a few times watch the Video of Mr. Ken Tamplin sang Michael Jackson songs. I noticed he did a vowel modification! Its a mixed between Falsetto, Head and Chest but yet it sound chesty. Mr. Ken is really a great singer! I wanna be like him and open another Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy in Malaysia branch! hahaha :)

I hopes I get the right idea and do practice correctly. Tq so much!

Regards,

Shahrizan
    @shahrizan,

Sorry. It took a couple of days before I had time to watch the video and get back to you. This singer is doing a little bit of everything. Singing in chest, singing in head voice, and singing in mixed voice, which is where we all want to be. Very few singers are going to sing a whole song in just one configuration or the other. The song varies, and with it, our voice takes on the sound that is appropriate for that part of the song.

Ken has an extended chest voice and can take it very high. He also has a very versatile head voice, and he also has the freedom to blend his registers into a mixed voice. What Ken has that many other vocalists do not have is the extended chest voice. This allows him to have a very strong, chesty-sounding mix when he chooses. Without having the high range in chest, your mix will tend to be more of a head-dominant sound.

This singer has a nice mix of head and chest, and it works well in the song that you posted. It's not so chest-dominant, but there is enough chest in it to be able to recognize it as a mix rather than pure head voice.

All the Best!

Bob