Hey Dudes and Divas!

Enrolled KTVA vocalists have access to the full singer forum, self-registered members have access to limited areas of the KTVA forum - the rest of the forum is hidden from view.

To enroll in Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Singing Lessons click here.

How do I record? Discussing some issues, thanks!

How do I record? Discussing some issues, thanks!
https://youtube.com/watch?v=pfwuaU3lQ1s&feature=youtu.be

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • highmtnhighmtn Posts: 9,480Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro
    edited January 29 Vote Up2Vote Down
    What you did in the last minute of the video will work OK for simple demos. The controls you are adjusting are for speaker playback levels, not recording levels. They may be causing the "cracking sound" if your speakers are overloading or the amplifier that drives them is going into distortion. You may be able to get rid of the cracking by just setting the playback levels a little lower.

If you get that set, your "mix" can be achieved by different positioning of you vs the speakers nearer or further from the microphone. That's the way they used to do it in the old days in recording studios. One mic, and everybody all around it, at different distances.

You can record a test track, listen to it played back (with your vocals on it), and then decide what to move in relation to the mic. If the voice is too soft, move yourself closer. If the music is too soft, move the speakers nearer to the mic, and so forth, until you achieve a better balance.

Just the few seconds of recording of you singing on this short clip is better than all of the other recordings you have submitted prior to this. I can hear what you're doing. I can tell you that you will need to lose a lot of the vibrato you are putting on your voice, because that is interfering a lot with your pitch.

As you go up and down with your vibrato, your pitch is varying flat and sharp, in time to your vibrato. Try to focus more on straight tones, with no vibrato. It may be hard to "unlearn" but you will need to lose it and build a new vibrato that won't make you go flat and sharp. Ken has a "ghosting" exercise that is good for helping you to lose bad vibrato habits and gain better virbrato habits.

When you get your Pro Bundle, you'll be able to see what I mean.

I think you're close to having a workable recording setup, and as you gain more experience with it, you can gradually migrate over to audacity or some other more spiffy recording software.

Oh, yeah. On your screen I saw one setting, that you have the audio sample frequency set to 44.1 khz. That's probably a good setting unless you have an old, slow computer. 44.1 khz is the sample rate for CD quality recording. That should be fine, but also should not bog down most computers and cause stuttering.
  • Everything like my mic and head phones are connected and it all comes out my speakers into my head phones. I have to keep it that way because my neighbors would complain other wise. I still do not know how to set my mix right. I will have to keep playing the mic volume and volume settings.

Also when I use sing and see and try to get in tune..My pitch does not stay stable, so my vibrato would be the cause of this. I can sing very straight, or use Vibrato, Though I usually use a lot, or some vibrato, when I sing.

So Ken has some Ghost exercises. Yes, that would help me lose my vibrato quick. Screams. You said Ghosting exercises. Do I have to be dead to sing along? I am not a ghost yet lol. What are ghosting exercises?

I am going to get the Pro Bundle, very soon, so I will see what you mean. Like within the next day. I also know where to send the email with the receit, Once I buy the full program.

Thanks for your feedback.