Home Ken Tamplin's Corner

Please could you have a listen to the vocals on two of my band's tracks?feedback positive/negative:)

Jonny WilkinsonJonny Wilkinson Enrolled Posts: 44
edited July 2012 in Ken Tamplin's Corner
Hi Ken hope your well :) Im currently doing stage 3 of your singing course its brilliant so thanyou so much :). My band have just recorded two tracks - could you have a listen to the vocals on each track and give me any feedback on my vowel modifications/diction/ things I need to work at improving? As well as your opinion on the songs in terms of songwriting/melody/lyrics? Would be much appreciated. And of course to everyone all positive and negative feedback would be greatly appreciated :) - Just to note the Vocals have been layered with upper harmonies etc but no auto-tune was used in the production of these recordings - thanks again Ken and everyone  :)

Best Answer

• Ken TamplinKen Tamplin Administrator, Moderator Posts: 446
    Answer ✓

Hi Johnny,

You do sound a bit like Myles but you neeed much stronger support to really nail it.

Before you do that, spend some time growing your voice first. If you lean into that sound too prematurely.

You can hurt yourself.

It's true what Freedom said about your consonants however,  I would prefer this in learning to keep your throat completely open to the vowels first

in order to "embed" this in to your muscle memory and structure. Then you can close the sound down with harder consonants.

You are doing well and are on a goo track

Answers

• freedomfreedom Enrolled Posts: 30
    You sound pretty similar to Myles, I would just say you need more power if you really wanna get his sound.

I know your trying to not sing consonants an focus on the vowels, but I think you did it a little too much. There are a few places where it's really hard to understand. So I would just add a little more and really mean what you say. You can practice all the techniques but when it comes down to it.. Emotion and passion are what move crowds so when you play live just feel the music and let go.

Good work man, the intro acoustic playing on the first song is pretty cool. It's got a Pretty but yet weird sound, you know?

Keep it up, Freedom.
  • highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,354

Jonny,

These are both excellent recordings and the band is very good.  Your vocals are good and you have an interesting voice. 

I think you could open up the throat considerably and be even much more effective.  It sounds to me like you are using a more closed-throat sound and if you could open your throat much more like Ken explains in Stage One, you will find that you can retain the qualities and approach in your voice that you want, while gaining much more tone and capabilities on what is already a very good-sounding voice.  I'm glad you included a couple of slides with you in the picture on the second video.  You should have them edit you into the first video, since you are nowhere to be seen in that one. ;^)

Reep on Rockin'

Bob

• Jonny WilkinsonJonny Wilkinson Enrolled Posts: 44
    thanks guys for the feedback will take all your comments on board :) thanks for taking the time to have a listen - keep rockin!
  • Jonny WilkinsonJonny Wilkinson Enrolled Posts: 44
    thanks for taking the time to listen to the tracks ken, I will definately take your advice and put it into practice! :)