Home GENERAL SINGING - Ken Tamplin Vocal Academy Forum
Options

Can I use reverse phonantion?

Is it save to use reversed phonation to get familiar to the feeling of throat in high notes? Reversed phonation="pig squeal"

I can do C5 to C6 scale with reversed phonation without breaking or hurting. Breathing outward I just don't have required support to do that.
Is this save or is there any benefit from doing this?

Best Answer

• Options
    highmtnhighmtn Administrator, Moderator, Enrolled, Pro, 3.0 Streaming Posts: 15,357
    edited July 2012 Answer ✓

pantero,

You will not find reverse-breath pig squealing in any of the KTVA Stages, workouts, or webinars.  I too can make annoying sounds with this technique, including barking like a seal, however, my cords always feel like I've been gargling gravel afterwards.

I don't believe that this is a healthful practice.  I can also make some very high squeals with forward phonation, but they are of little use for actual singing of songs.

In classical singing there is actually a technique referred to as "drinking the breath", which implies that you are reversing the flow of air. It's not really reversing the breath, though, it's just slowing the exhalation down as a means of support.  This is more along the lines of apoggio, and in fact Ken does teach a more modern/pop/Rock and Roll version of this with the concept of breath regulation known as Glottal Compression.

Your time is better spent getting your Open Throat technique and Diaphragmatic Breath Support  perfected, rather than barnyard imitations. Your range will extend as you continue your KTVA program and exercises.  Give yourself time to develop real strength in your support. 

Good singing to you, my friend!

Bob

Answers

• Options
    Ken TamplinKen Tamplin Administrator, Moderator Posts: 446

I don't teach reverse phonation or even the whistle register because much of it (like growl) involves false vocal folds.

I need people to grow their cords first and make them strong and healthy before working false folds...

• Options
    panteropantero Enrolled Posts: 27
    Thanks for answers Bob and Ken. Both answers make perfect sense.
    Maybe whistles and reverse phonation has place somewhere as effect on a song or as a party trick, but maybe it shouldn't be something to added to vocal training.